Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for starter LVLP gun

Hello everyone. So I'm not going to trouble myself with an underpowered air compressor. Instead, I found a like-new Earlex 5500 for a good price. With that determined, now I'm considering my finish options. John, I was able to locally source both the Duralaq and TargetCoatings EM-6500. The SW ProClassic is 35% off right now at my local store, but a gallon costs $77! Wowee. The Duralaq was only $46 by comparison. However, I didn't realize both products were lacquers, which seem intimidating. If I choose to spray a waterborne lacquer, will I need any special setup over and above what I would need to spray acrylic latex? What I mean is, are these products the type of lacquer that require, for safety reasons, etc., a dedicated spray booth with fans and the whole business?

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the confusing world of product labeling.
    Waterborne lacquer is no different than latex paint. Well, yes, they have different properties after drying, but they both are just a synthetic resin water emulsion. You should wear a respirator with organics cartridges, and a fan to ventilate your spray area is always good, but there's no risk of fire or explosion with any of them. Duralaq and EM-6500 will be easier to spray than ProClassic and will be harder, faster. I would choose them first for book shelf type projects. Duralaq is not as chemically resistant as either of the other two, but is a lot cheaper and fine for projects that don't require that performance. If you are just learning to spray, Duralaq is a good product to start with. It's available in both clearcoats and white, and BM can custom tint it to any of their 3000+ colors. Duralaq also has a great primer, called Undercoater, that is amazingly cheap, sprays and sands great, and will give you a dead smooth final surface after spraying your finish coats.

John

Thanks, John. You've been most helpful.

Any pointers on best practices for a garage hobbyist for working with shellac and how to dispose of denatured alcohol?

See here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....lcohol-shellac