Thread: Equifax settlement

Equifax settlement

Have you checked to see if you get it ? If not, it could be an easy 125.00. Check here and if you are it takes less than 5 minutes to fill in form.
    https://eligibility.equifaxbreachset...en/eligibility
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Yep, I checked but I was not eligible. Good way to get $125 if your information was hacked.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Scott. I will check myself and my wife.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Yes, both I and Professor Dr. SWMBO are both in the class and since we already have monitoring "for a very long time" because of the OPM break a few years ago, we opted for the money. That said, depending on how may folks file for the money, there is very much the chance that the amount could go down because it's a fixed pot of money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I guess I was impacted, went to file a claim and after putting in my info wouldn't go to the next step. Oh well, with my luck all the info I put in would get hacked again.

The amount you get depends on how many people make claims since the pot of money is fixed. I saw a statistic that if everyone affected files a claim each will receive 21 cents.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Agree with Mike. You can UP TO $125, or as little as $0.21, it all depends on how many people make the claim. You have up until January 2020 I think to make the claim, I am banking on having an idea of the amount of claims by then and making the call. I’m pretty sure the 10 years of free credit monitoring is going to be the better decision.

Also, to get a cash payout you need to prove you have credit monitoring for six months. There can be had through a free service such as credit karma. I’m sure they will love the extra business from this settlement!

My info was breached so I submitted a request for the $125. I dont pay for credit monitoring so it will be interesting to see if they request that info. Long before this data breach I put a freeze on my credit with all the agencies. I got to an age where I dont need to apply for credit so freezing seemed like the best bet. I still watch all my accounts closely.

I already have had credit monitoring from two other big data breaches. Now Capitol One? Grrr. What I dont understand is why these three private companies- Experian Equifax and Transunion, have control over my credit and personal information. Who gave them the right to do that?

I understand that the $760M fine only represents one quarter's profit for them. What?

You can be sure the lawyers that were awarded the right to negociate this "settlement" made millions regardless of how many victims apply for the payout....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    You can be sure the lawyers that were awarded the right to negotiate this "settlement" made millions regardless of how many victims apply for the payout....
    That's for sure.

Mike