Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood looking Sign for Lake House Extira?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...WS13/206822526

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...4808/301950563

It's got a bit lower density than the "premium" PVC, but it's not that different and the 3/4" price is very competitive.

Interesting but no where does it list the weight? I have my sign already started but this stuff might be ok for a future project.
    It would be a interesting media for a gingerbread project for a builder or custom art / sign.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Scott

Probably need to check facts.....https://miratecextira.com/the-tec-process/

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. Waldron View Post
    Scott

Its not even close to MDF or MDO, totally different product. I wonder if Scott got the same stuff? I used just plain old pine board and painted the heck out of it. When done carving, I used spar varnish to coat. I usually do not mess around with these little jobs, but this is a honey do one. The spar varnish even multicoated should last a full 2 years!

PS I have requested a sample.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-08-2019 at 4:41 PM.

Bill, I hope the spar varnish works for you, let us know. My experience has always been that good paint doesn't save
    woods that don't have good exterior ratings. I would like to know why. But I haven't tried the spar varnish. Light
    canvas glued to any wood before painting does work.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 09-08-2019 at 5:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. Waldron View Post
    Scott

No need to check any website, I, for one person on this thread, have used the product repeatedly over a several year period because of all the hype. I know what it is, I know how it performs, I know we do not use it to make signs from. As mentioned, do as you wish. I'm just giving you professional experience from a guy who makes signs for a living. The fact is that Extira isn't carried as a sign material by any of the leading sign substrate suppliers. I've been going to sign trade shows for more than 10 years, never once since Extira there, or a sign made from it. Never once seen a wholesale sign supplier offering signs made from Extira.

If you think that it's just my opinion that says it's not a great product for signs, then listen to the industry who doesn't use it.

Want to use it? Go right ahead. Doesn't matter to me, it's not my customer and I get nothing from telling you my personal experience with it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Extira/Medex

I use it for exterior signs, it machines well. After routing I seal all exposed areas with 3-4 coats of Spar Varnish cut 1:1 with mineral spirits. Then prime and paint.

Have some signs up for 10 plus years, no complaints. This in Alaska, very harsh climate.

Neal
    Neal Schlee

Machines:
    ULS X2-660 120 watt SuperSpeed
    Multicam Pro 102 Dual Z CNC Router & Multicam 44 Plus Dual Z CNC Router
    Shop Built Custom CNC Machines
    Mutoh VJ 1204 Wide Format Printer
    55" Laminator
    Graphtec 54" Vinyl Cutter
    Sublimation Equipment
    Sand Blasting Equipment
    Various Woodworking Equipment

Software:
    Aspire, Enroute, Flexi Pro 10.5, CorelDraw X6 to name a few!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Schlee View Post
    I use it for exterior signs, it machines well. After routing I seal all exposed areas with 3-4 coats of Spar Varnish cut 1:1 with mineral spirits. Then prime and paint.

Have some signs up for 10 plus years, no complaints. This in Alaska, very harsh climate.

Neal
    From what I read online it its got a water-repellent built in thats oil based. Your example shows that a oil based Spar Varnish is more that likely the coating for a sign. I was under the impression that a lot of sign makers use a foam or plastic material that may be 100% weatherproof. Scott can verify or not.

Got my free sample kit today with spec sheet and sales sheet, nice piece 8x8 x 3/4 inches and a some round coasters like things about 1/2 inch thick. Caution for exterior use Must be primed and painted or like Neal above several coats of oil based spar varnish and then paint. I have some other shop things going on right now, but I will try to router engrave the 8x8 inch piece and set outside for a while. The coasters I might try lasering and then spar varnish.

If I have to put 4 coats of varnish, then primer, then paint, I’m not using it. It’s not cost effective for those of us not in extreme environments like Neil. If that gets him long life in Alaska, then hats off to him for figuring that out.

You can use sign foam, 1 coat of primer, 1 coat of paint, 2 if you wish. Lasts a long, long time. Outside rated PVC lasts a long time too.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm in the same town as Scott. My project has been up 12 years and has not needed repainting. Full sun and rain exposure
    and painted white. It's pierced imbricated panels used as deck railing. The top rail is 4 or 5 inches wide with drip edges.
    Does not keep the panel dry. Scott ,you are welcone to come over and see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I'm in the same town as Scott. My project has been up 12 years and has not needed repainting. Full sun and rain exposure
    and painted white. It's pierced imbricated panels used as deck railing. The top rail is 4 or 5 inches wide with drip edges.
    Does not keep the panel dry. Scott ,you are welcone to come over and see it.
    I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying about it. I have said, "Left untreated it swells up". That's a fact. Leave some outside for a while and report back. I have said "It's not a practical solution for signs". I stand by that. I have said you can make signs from it, HOWEVER, it's not PRACTICAL. Having to seal and put multiple coats of products on it just to get it to the same point other products are already at doesn't make since from a business standpoint. If I can chose from two products, one that I can put 10 hours work in and one that I can put 5 hours work in and both last the same amount of time outdoors, then why would I ever pick the 10 hour method? The sign industry as a whole, agrees with me. Does that mean you can't make something out of it? Nope. It just means it's not practical.

I stand by my other statements as well, if it's a larger panel, it will pull towards the sun rather strongly. I've seen it bow several inches over 4 ft.

He asked for opinions, I've given mine. You might disagree, that's fine, but this is by no means some super sign material. It's just not, and the sign industry agrees by their lack of willingness to use it widespread.

I don't know about carving Extira but I can say it is used widely on new houses for things like front porch column wraps and it appears to hold up well. I think most of it is painted with latex, despite what the manufacturer may recommend. If it were me, I would use premium PVC sheets. I don't do big signs but small ones - say 24 by 36 - look great for many years without repainting.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 09-13-2019 at 8:06 AM.

Art, I actually just cut a bunch of architectural reproductions...corbels and balusters...out of Extrra for a client and agree it's really useful for that kind of thing. I know they will be sealed and finished properly, too. Like you and Scott, however, I favor HDU or PVC for sign work. All those iterations of sealing, etc., wouldn't make sense for anyone making a living doing signs. A one-off by someone doing it personally, perhaps...but not as a business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can't help but wonder if Scott was sent regular mdf. I don't think mine was marked on the edges. We've all seen
    warehouse clean-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I can't help but wonder if Scott was sent regular mdf. I don't think mine was marked on the edges. We've all seen
    warehouse clean-ups.
    I didn't get one sheet, we used it numerous times. I'm not sure why my experience with it is constantly being discounted. Try it yourself. Sorry for trying to offer my years of experience working with outdoor sign materials and being in the sign industry.

I'm also not dumb enough to not understand the difference in Extira and MDF. Us it all you want.

Let me modify my statement.....

Extira is awesome. Use it everywhere you can.

Problem solved.