Thread: Nova DVR XP

Nova DVR XP

Hi all,
    I just picked up a Nova DVR XP with new upgraded electronics (same as the Saturn) and the outrigger assembly for a really good price. I also found the cast iron legs on clearance at Woodcraft for $150.00 instead of the original $599.00. It is very dirty with a lot of finishes built up on it so I want to clean it and expect to chip and scratch the paint while doing so. Nova told me they no longer have the paint for sale so I was wondering if any Nova owners out there have got any they are not using or can recommend where I can get some.
    Thanks,
    Jeff Walters

I suggest Rustoleum oil based grey paint or their silver hammered paint. I have used both on other projects, just be prepared to allow some dry time. The hammered looks closest to the Nova finish if that is important to you. I suggest you fully mask anything you do not want to paint, and take apart what you can and find a way to support the pieces to allow coverage on all sides intended. The hammered paint is really thick, you may want a practice piece of something else.

Thanks Andrew.
    Nova suggested finding a matching Rustoleum. However they said to use a High Heat type and the only one I know of like that is flat black for BBQ grilles. I also didn’t think about Oil based so will check it out. There is indeed a lot of masking that needs to be done. That along will take a bit of time. First off is to get the lathe as clean as possible. I got the worst of it chipped off now I need to find a solvent that will cut through the rest. So it is an on going process and I’ll post some pictures when done.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    Thanks Andrew.
    Nova suggested finding a matching Rustoleum. However they said to use a High Heat type and the only one I know of like that is flat black for BBQ grilles. I also didn’t think about Oil based so will check it out. There is indeed a lot of masking that needs to be done. That along will take a bit of time. First off is to get the lathe as clean as possible. I got the worst of it chipped off now I need to find a solvent that will cut through the rest. So it is an on going process and I’ll post some pictures when done.
    Jeff
    A paint store could probably match the color of a good-sized paint chip.

Well, I am having so much fun turning on my Nova that I decided to wait until after to holidays to clean and paint the lathe.

Jeff

When I wanted to repaint my JET 1642, I took the banjo to my local Ace hardware store. They were able to computer color match it perfectly and recommended an oil based enamel. It has held up for over 7 years now. Might be another option to consider.
    Dick Mahany.