Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

29 Jul 2019

Greetings,
    It’s been a productive week but still frustrating. Worked through all the plumbing problems and now we are repaired and in the dry. Finished a large cutting board and got it delivered. Back to the day job and then back to finishing drywall tonight. With a lot of hope and a lot of work, we should be on our way to being on the smoother road to a finished bathroom. Our hope is to have it finished by one week from this coming Friday.

That’s it for me. What did you do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, I hope your "construction" projects get done so you can get back to more fun things, like sweating in your shop.

By mid-week, I started to feel human again after a nasty summer virus. Outside of an occasional cough, I'm good. Lost a few pounds too. LOL The lawn got mowed and I cut up two of the "way too many" ash trees that are dead and down on our property...only about 6 more to go. Until there are more. Friday, I met with a client to discuss some products he wants me to produce for him for customer orders and I started cutting the samples on Saturday. I need to complete that work today and tomorrow as I once again will have to take up residence in central Florida for a bit to get my 89 year young mother (my oldest kid ) moved from her independent living apartment into a newly renovated assisted living room in the community. It's time...even she finally agrees with that. The hard part is dealing with about 60 years of "stuff" that has to be cleared out of the apartment expeditiously. I only will have 30 days and have to do this in one trip...hopefully no more than two weeks total, as I have other work quoted and ready to go including a large live-edge black walnut dining table top and some architectural trim reproductions that need to be CNC cut, not to mention some more guitar making frolic.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Getting the final coats of WOP on the Stickley server. Went to see Dan Cassens and came home with enough red oak for the 4 chairs I'll be starting. And on the way home drove past a small airfield in Rensalear and they had a sign up for bi-plane rides. Always wanted to do that so pulled a u turn and went for a 30 minute ride. As I was stepping on the wing to get in the open cockpit the pilot asked me to be careful where I stepped so I wouldn't go thru the wing fabric. He also said "Don't mind the duck-tape". Was a wonderful ride - something I've always wanted to do.
    2019-07-28.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I'm trying to complete a project 3 years in the making.
    Long story, but long ago I edge jointed the individual pieces to make some 13" panels, then they sat.
    This year I've dado'd in the fixed shelves, drilled the sides for the moving shelves and last week assembled the sides and cut the face frame to hold the door - it's now installed and pegged.
    Today I cut out the back panel and this afternoon I'm going to finish the sanding, varnish, and assemble the rear.
    Still need to finish the young lad's bedroom filling/painting, and I want to paint the inside of the house.
    I always feel tired.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Moved 100k pounds of equipment around, need to move it one more time.

After two years, got second heat pump working. Both outside unit and air handler had taken up residence on back porch. Made iced tea for a friend's husband's memorial service, plus a couple sweet potato pies for here. Made usual ham biscuits on Saturday morning. Tore into a generator that threw a rod. Looks like block can be welded, rod, and governor gear replaced. Around $120 for welding and parts. Bother and SIL, plus sister came into town Saturday for a very short visit. Drove 50 miles (one way) to go to a Eastern NC BBQ place. Son and his brood joined us, along with SIL's niece and husband, for a total of 13. Washed dog and her bedding, plus picked up more storm debris from thunderstorms.

I completed this today, a side table I call the Harlequin Table (owing to the different colour drawer fronts). I attempted to post a link (in a thread here) to the Hand Tool Forum for those that do not go there, but it was moved ( I did not begin visiting the Power forum until about 18 months ago).

Link: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....96#post2942096

This piece will be entered in the furniture competition of the Perth Wood Show this weekend. Completed with a day to spare!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tried to align my table saw, still a work in progress. Even with one of the four bolts on the table very tight, both sides of the table moved when tapping the table to get the blade square to the miter slot. Then when I got it dialed in, I lost the alignment when tightening everything back. So back to it tomorrow evening.

I had a busy week. Got most of the stock for my bench base rough milled and glued up. It was quite a struggle on the long pieces since I only have a 6" jointer and benchtop planer. Ended up making an extended table for the planer. 8' long piece of melamine shelf board that slides through the planer with fold down legs on each end. The legs adjust so I can raise the infeed and outfeed ends a bit vs. the bed to help minimize snipe. I had to use extension roller stands on both ends of the jointer. Worked out well and the long 4" x 4 " (actual) red oak stretchers are square and decently straight. Left everything about 1/8 oversize and will do final milling of everything at once to keep the thicknesses uniform right before joinery.

Meanwhile, took advantage of the decent weather to spend a couple of days clearing deadfall in the woods and doing some skid steer work. Like Jim B. I have many ash trees down or about to be down. If they fall in the rough woods I usually just leave them to nature, but if they fall on the walking trail I clear them out and cut up for firewood. I don't have a wood burning fireplace, but I have a buddy that heats with wood so he is always happy to come by and pick up the piles. Still to do with skid steer is to move the half composted leaves from last fall into a pile to make room for this year's. It's early, but have to do it while the ground is fairly dry or the skid steer makes a real mess.

Went to see Music Man at a local theater with LOML and another couple. Musicals aren't really my favorite, but this was a pretty good and ambitious production for a smaller theater.

Also met up with 3 of my old college roommates. I have seen them occasionally one at a time, but we haven't all been together in 44 years! It was a great afternoon/evening of drinking beer, catching up, and swapping stories.

Lastly, a buddy of mine asked me to look at his old AR D100 amplifier, which was blowing one of the power supply fuses. AR has stopped repairing this older model because many of the parts have gone obsolete. I'm pretty sure one or more of the 16 TO3 output transistors has failed, but it will mean some surgery to narrow it down, and then hunt for suitable replacements will begin. There are four groups of 4 matched sets, so finding suitable replacements will be a challenge.

Derek, your finished project thread originally in GW&PT is in the Woodworking Projects forum where we keep finished projects and builds together. There was a multi-day re-direct set so folks would see where it went.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For the transistors, ebay is your friend