Thread: New math maybe?

New math maybe?

Just saw a local Facebook ad Drill press $50, belt sander $50, bench grinder $50 or $200 for all.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5473173984168/

At least on FB, it's just some schlub trying to get rid of some tools. I would expect better from the folks at Amazon, but I guess not:

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1654-Bl...Z9E8A9N1M8NM9G

Don't know - maybe they use some really expensive packaging for those 2-packs and 3-packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    At least on FB, it's just some schlub trying to get rid of some tools. I would expect better from the folks at Amazon, but I guess not:

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1654-Bl...Z9E8A9N1M8NM9G

Don't know - maybe they use some really expensive packaging for those 2-packs and 3-packs.
    I noticed that the "Pack of 1" was marked for Prime, the others not: could be the 2/3/4-packs come direct from the vendor rather than from Amazon warehouse. It would be interesting to see what shows up in the cart if you order four of the singles, but they're marked as 'out of stock'.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Yeah, I'm one of those schlubs that sold an 8" Rockwell jointer on FB.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    The singles are sold by Amazon directly and the multi-packs are sold by a third party. Not the first time I have seen something like this on Amazon.

Blog Entries
    My brother used to sell a lot of stuff at tech shows and such. One time just for fun he marked a bunch of items $3 each or 3 for $10. Even after explaining it to people they still told him to just keep the change.

Quite often in grocery stores the small package will actually cost less per unit than the larger package. Sometimes it is only a few cents different. For the retailer, if people buy the larger size out of mistaken economy, it can add up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In the late 1960's, I worked at an F. W. Woolworth after school. One evening I got the job of pricing candy and stocking the candy shelves. For some bizarre reason, there were 18 oz bags of Hershey Kisses for 89 cents and 1 pound bags of hershey kisses for 99 cents each. A lady asked me the difference and I just quickly said, this bag is a pound and the other is only 16 oz. So she grabbed a couple of the 1 pound bags of hershey kisses. She and her husband came back 2 hours later screaming at me about how I cheated them. I referred them to the manager. While they yelled at the manager, I double checked the display diagram and prices. for some reason the 16 ox bags were 10 cents less than the 1 pound bags by company directive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I noticed that the "Pack of 1" was marked for Prime, the others not: could be the 2/3/4-packs come direct from the vendor rather than from Amazon warehouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The singles are sold by Amazon directly and the multi-packs are sold by a third party.
    Looks like the third party is still a little mathematically challenged. Two 2-packs would cost $317.96, but a 4-pack is $324.98.

I wonder how many takers they get for a product they've priced 35-40% above what Amazon claims is "list price."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    In the late 1960's, I worked at an F. W. Woolworth after school. One evening I got the job of pricing candy and stocking the candy shelves. For some bizarre reason, there were 18 oz bags of Hershey Kisses for 89 cents and 1 pound bags of hershey kisses for 99 cents each. A lady asked me the difference and I just quickly said, this bag is a pound and the other is only 16 oz. So she grabbed a couple of the 1 pound bags of hershey kisses. She and her husband came back 2 hours later screaming at me about how I cheated them. I referred them to the manager. While they yelled at the manager, I double checked the display diagram and prices. for some reason the 16 ox bags were 10 cents less than the 1 pound bags by company directive.
    Perry, unless things have changed from my school days isn't 16 oz one pound?

Could the confusion be due to typos?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

back in high school my friend was working at the grocery store a couple of blocks away. His shift was about over and I stopped in to pick him up. He was finishing up a HUGE pyramid of tuna fish cans.
    'That's a lot of tuna fish!'
    'yeah, [the owner] overbought, so he's putting it on sale, sold about half of it already today'
    '3 for a dollar? Not bad I guess, what's it usually cost?
    '29 cents...'

and my favorite new grocery store math, that's actually getting old, "Five for $5" type sales...

And a couple of months ago at Dollar Tree, a guy in front of me has a cart full of posterboard. He pulls out all the white, checker rings it up, then the guy lays down some multi-colored pieces. Checker says " Are these the same price?"
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My dad used t sing a little song about .... red headed matches two for a nickel three for a dime.

Yep same thing 16 oz = 1 pound. The company had very strict diagrams for how shelves were to be laid out and the diagram called for two separate bins. one for the 16 oz 89 cent bags and next to it another bin for the 1 pound 99 cent bags.

About 6 months later, the district manager came in and told me to throw out all the old displays in the back of the stock room and showed me the bins he wanted empty.. I asked if I could have some of them, he replied "just get that shi- out of the store. So I filled the back of my parent's station wagon with all the old displays. When I got home I pulled about 10 watches out of the timex display case, gave my Brother the HO train display with the trains and track still in it, there was also a display of kitchen stuff that I gave to my mother. Two weeks later the district manager was back in and asks me if I got rid of those displays like he said. Yep, same day, -long gone, I said. I thought he wised up and would be asking for the stuff back. Turns out he was concerned about a Christmas tree display. Oh that is still there, it is in the bin of Holiday stuff on the other side of the stockroom. And he just said good and walked away.