Thread: Finish Recommendations for Ipe Planter

Finish Recommendations for Ipe Planter

I am making a planter out of Ipe and was hoping to get some recommendations on what finish to use. This planter will be kept indoors, but will be kept moderately moist most of the time from the soil.

Readily accessible to me I have:

- general finishes arm-r-seal oil based varnish
    - watco lacquer
    - rustoleum enamel clear
    - danish oil
    - gunstock oil
    - tried and true wiping varnish

I will be doing sample boards to get an idea of colour, but was hoping to get recommendations as far as longevity is concerned.

I was hoping to use something that comes in a spray can for ease of finishing.

Thank you

I can only speak based on my ipe deck, which we stained for a couple of years, then left to weather with pressure washing every year or two for the last 15 years.
    · If you get a stain, get one specific to hardwoods, as ipe has a very tight/dense grain. We used a hardwood-specific stain by Cabot.
    · Ipe weather's to a nice subtle light gray with no finish -- similar to cedar & unlike the dark gray of weathered redwood.
    · Pressure washing comes close to restoring ipe's original, unweathered dark reddish tone.

I recommend you redesign the planter so the Ipe' doesn't get/stay wet. If you go with your current approach the only finishes I would consider would be the oils, as in your last three choices. Any film finish is likely to peal off from the moisture coming through from the other side being wet. But if you redesign it so the Ipe' isn't directly exposed to water then you could use any finish you want.

John

One thing to beware of: Ipe has a tendency to leach and stain whatever is under it, especially if it is kept wet. Make sure you put something under the planter to protect your flooring.

As to answer your question, I would recommend a few coats of shellac. It adheres to Ipe well and seals it.

John,
    Thanks for the tip. I think what I will do is spray with lacquer. I will then add some 1/8 or so plastic sheeting inside, but cut it a little short of the top so it’s not visible. Silicone all the seams and then we’ll see how it holds up.