Thread: PEX expander connection system hasn't made it to retail

PEX expander connection system hasn't made it to retail

When I asked about supplies for the system of using expandable plastic rings to connect PEX pipe, the manager of the local Sutherlands Hardware said "That hasn't made it to retail yet". Checking at the other hardware stores in town, I find that he is correct. They sell clinch rings, crimp rings, and push-on ("Sharkbite") fittings. The PEX pipe for sale is not clearly marked as being type "A" or "B". All I've found so far is type "B".

Using the expandable plastic rings is most easily done with a specialized expensive tool and I was really looking forward to buying one. What a disappointment!

All of the methods work well. I personally just use SharkBite and couldn't be happier, despite them not being inexpensive. The dude who installed our acid neutralizer used the crimp rings with a special tool. Worked fine, but he had to return when two of them leaked; not because of the crimps, but because the ends of the tubing were not cut precisely enough for some reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Available at various price points from amazon; https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Expansi...gateway&sr=8-5

If you have menards nearby, they carry (at least in NE Ohio) the expansion fittings, pipe, and tools, under the Sioux Chief brand. They also carry various crimp systems, so you have to pay attention, but they are marked pretty well as expansion or crimp. Or you can buy online from SupplyHouse, which is where I get most of my stuff.

I think the crimp rings work the best. I have the tool that does 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch. You do have to check the crimps. They are pretty fool proof, but if the tool is cocked slightly during the crimp, it does not seal properly. There was another type of closure system for pex. It was a crimped hose clamp looking thing. I haven't used it and don't know if it is still available. My local Ace carries no pex anything. Home depot carries a good selection of the tubing, but a lousy selection of connectors. Lowes has the best selection in this area. Since we built the new house I have done next to no plumbing. Have had to make only three changes in 5 years. Put a new outdoor faucet in using the old fashioned copper crimp rings.

I understand one of the weaknesses of the pex system is that any grit in the water to wear away the fittings from the inside. Especially the cheaper Chinese made cast brass fittings. I never had a fitting go bad in about 10 years of using pex. I did have a bronze temperature mixing valve go bad wihin a few weeks after the house was built. There was an obvious flaw in the casting with minor holes that permitted water to seep through. It was still only a few drops in 5 minutes, but until I found it, the water under the cabinet was a mystery.

I second Supplyhouse. Ironically, I just spent $500 there a few minutes ago on pex-a and expander fittings. I have the Milwaukee expansion tool and it works amazing. I almost feel like I’m cheating somehow, when compared to copper. Although the stuff for the most part isn’t available in big box stores yet, most plumbing supply houses will stock it. It’s cheaper and easier for me to get it from Supplyhouse if i can plan ahead and have a few days to wait for it.

Brian E. Cosgrove

Yes, Menards. They carry the Sioux Chief brand. Pex hose should all be marked but it is a little hard to see at times. I switched to only using Pex A hose a while back. It's more flexible and easier to deal with and give you the ability to expand or crimp if needed. The main reason I switched away from crimp is that Pex A allows full flow through the fittings, a 1/2" fitting has 1/2" (or really close) pass, while crimp or shark bite will restrict to nearly a full size smaller, 1/2" crimp fittings have pass of 3/8" (approximately).

My local Ace owner said they don't stock anything but sharkbite because the homeowners wouldn't want to have to buy a tool to use the fittings. He's probably right for most.

The other area where the expansion system shines is when access is tight (isn't it almost always? at least on repair/retrofit work?). Getting the end of the pipe to the tool to expand it is usually way easier than getting the tool into a tight spot to do a crimp, and then, depending on type of crimp, needing to get the crimp check tool into the tight spot to verify a full crimp. Especially since the crimp tools tend to be pretty big.

The house I recently bought is half copper and half pex b with stainless steel cinch rings. Recently I installed some new hose bibs and continued with pex b and cinch rings. Adding onto pex was trivial. Adding onto the copper required more effort but I sweated on a copper to pex connection. I liked how easy it was to use and the tool works for all sizes of tubing. If I was having a house re-plumbed or built I'd go with pex a and uponor fittings. I get most of my plumbing supplies from supplyhouse.com as well.