Thread: How to remove mildew odors in tarps

How to remove mildew odors in tarps

I have a couple of 10x20 painter's canvas tarps that got wet and then developed a mildew odor. Bad enough that I won't use them inside. So I took them down to the local laundromat that has large enough machines. Put in 1/2 gal of bleach and soap and washed them with hot water. Minimal if any difference. Now I have clean tarps that smell. Anybody have a better solution?

I'd try laying them out or hanging them out on a sunny breezy day and let nature do its thing.

I'd try a strong solution of Oxiclean!
    WoodsShop

I have noticed that new fire stations no longer have hose drying towers. I guess the newer plastic hoses do not get dried out after every use like the cotton ones did.. I would never use plastic tarps to walk on.

I have tried the sun and wind thing, this is Wenatchee, Wa so we have have both. I'm hoping someone has a good chemical solution besides the dumpster.

Maybe a place that sells canvas tents, like an outfitter might be able to help?

Found this online if it helps:https://www.canvascamp.com/en/blog/h...m-canvas-tents

Looks like white vinegar is an option too.
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 07-28-2019 at 9:46 PM.