Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless security system

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If our alarm, um...alarms...or has a fault, our monitoring company launches a call to us within about 30 seconds to ascertain if the issue is real. If we don't answer or don't provide the proper code word or confirm that it's a real issue, or if one of the dedicated panic buttons are pushed, our local first responders are here within about 2 minutes tops.
    That is how it was with ADT but by the time everyone was called and it was confirmed that it wasn't a false alarm it was 20 minutes. and it was a false alarm anyhow but when the police did show up they held us from doing anymore work. I did have an alarm go off down in KY at one of the stores I was working at and used as a base that was in the same parking lot as my motel and it took a long time for a response. When they did show up the pharmacist got there and opened up the door and the police told her to go in and check. I stopped her and said tell them to go in first and make sure no one was inside. I said if you are first and they start shooting you are right in the middle. She thanked me for that info.

We moved away from a conventional security system and now have a few strategically placed Nest cameras.

I have a couple that cover the house and another pair that cover my external garage, inside and outside.

We get text and email notifications when something is spotted or heard. You can set hot zones of detection, so I can target my doors and windows to limit false alarms.

And being video, you can check out what is triggering the notification before you would put yourself in danger.

I did a Sherifs Citizens Academy course last year, one of the things they mentioned, in out County we have 10 officers that work 600 square miles between 10pm and 6am, which is when the majority of burglaries and break ins occur, so their answer was don't expect rapid assistance.

The Nest system came in handy while I was in the transition of moving from TX to TN. I could remotely monitor our empty TX house while it was on the market.

I have a built in security system in our existing house but I have not bothered to turn it on, my two dogs, although small, provide a more reliable audio warning when we are present and the Nest cameras allow us to monitor from anywhere we have cell service.

Our local police station is less than a mile up the road and the few times we've had a dispatch because of the alarm (because we were not at home and couldn't verify why it went off to the monitoring company) it was less than five minutes response time, usually be someone already on the road. But yea...in more rural areas where things are spread pretty thin, first responders just cannot get there physically so quickly. In that case, the value of cameras goes up in my mind because while a break-in might not get stopped, the cameras may provide the evidence necessary to at least apprehend after the fact.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Our local police station is less than a mile up the road and the few times we've had a dispatch because of the alarm (because we were not at home and couldn't verify why it went off to the monitoring company) it was less than five minutes response time, usually be someone already on the road. But yea...in more rural areas where things are spread pretty thin, first responders just cannot get there physically so quickly. In that case, the value of cameras goes up in my mind because while a break-in might not get stopped, the cameras may provide the evidence necessary to at least apprehend after the fact.
    With only 5 minutes they could walk off with your house. I saw what a group of thieves did in just 1 hour. They loaded a semi trailer and were gone
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 07-29-2019 at 3:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Any security system is only as good as the responding officers. I worked for drug store chains that had a couple of different providers and none had really good response times. In fact we were working out side one store early in the morning when we set off the alarm and it was 20 minutes before anybody showed up. This was with ADT as the provider.

I use to have an alarm company for years. I started to notice it was taking longer than it should for them to call when I set the alarm off. Each time I would wait a bit longer and still no call. I would call and always got the response Yes, we got the alarm and was about to call you
    So one day I did not set off the alarm and called. same response. Yes, we got the alarm and was about to call you Turns out my modem was not working Im going to guess for a long time.
    Paid the alarm company to keep from getting ripped off and turned out it was them doing it to me.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-29-2019 at 4:32 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale