Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless security system

Wireless security system

I have a hardwired security system.

Anyone own and use a wireless security system?
    What brand and would you buy again?
    Has false alarms been a problem?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have the Comcast/Xfinity wireless setup. We had one hiccough when we accidentally tripped the alarm (exiting in the morning without disarming it happens from time to time), and the base station (a tablet-like device) froze to where we could not disarm it, then we forgot the master password when we called in to the monitoring station. We eventually got it straightened out, but did get to talk to a deputy sheriff. Other than that, we've had the system for 4+ years now, I think, and all we've really had to do was change a few of the device batteries. The system warns us when they're dying. I have it set to notify me on my phone when it's armed and disarmed, as well as if it wasn't armed between 10pm and 6am, plus I can arm/disarm it remotely from my phone.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I use arlo wireless cameras around the outside of the house and a wired arloq camera inside my shop. Not really a traditional security system but it notifies (push notification to phone and email) me when motion is detected and sends a movie clip. Camera batteries last about 4-6 months before needing recharge, even in the winter. Free cloud storage for up to 5 cameras. All it needs is internet connection to plug the base station into. It uses its own low powered wireless network. Really nice cameras, especially the newer arlo pro 2. Very easy to install, but expensive. There are cheaper wireless camera on the market now.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 07-28-2019 at 7:50 AM.

We have had the SimpliSafe system for about 10 years. It has worked well for us and the only alarms we have had were the ones that we caused by doing something stupid like forgetting to turn it off or leaving the windows open and the drapes moved due to a huge wind blowing through. It is very reasonable—$15 a month for the lowest cost option—which we have. We like it because you buy the pieces you need and put them up yourself. Several years ago we upgraded to their newer system and also added some smoke detectors and a video doorbell. I had a friend over a couple of months ago to look at our system and I thought i would just hit the panic button to show her how the extra loud alarm sounded. It was loud and I shut it off immediately. Within 30 seconds our phone was ringing —SimpliSafe calling to see what the problem was. I didn’t realize that turning off the alarm would not deactivate the system when using the panic button (yeah, stupid me!). anyway, that sold my friend. We did have the police show up one time because my husband forgot to turn off the system and left. The phone rang (I was asleep) and didn’t answer it. Next thing I knew, someone was banging on my door. So yeah—- it works and is very reasonably priced.

Our professionally installed and monitored security system is all wireless due to the nature of our home and how difficult...if not impossible...it would be to do wired. It's been in place for 10 years and works very well. The frequencies used by this equipment do well with penetration of building materials and aside from very occasionally having to replace a battery in a sensor, there have been no issues at all. The only reason I would change out this system presently is if the provider cannot, um...provide...an IP based monitoring interface for our system "real soon now" as I will likely be dropping our land-line in a few months (it's not used except for the security system, more or less) as we are not good candidates for cellular because of signal issues.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great info so far. thanks!

How often do you replace the battery's? Seems like that would get old replacing them often?????
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave, I think I've replaced something like four or five batteries in 10 years and those are on the two door sensors that get used quite a bit and the two smokes on the system. The control panels require AAA batteries about once or twice a year and it takes about a minute and a half to do that total. IE, the maintenance is minimal because these things don't use much power. (This is a DSC system)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dave, I think I've replaced something like four or five batteries in 10 years and those are on the two door sensors that get used quite a bit and the two smokes on the system. The control panels require AAA batteries about once or twice a year and it takes about a minute and a half to do that total. IE, the maintenance is minimal because these things don't use much power. (This is a DSC system)

Thanks!

That don't sound too bad
    - Rick Dale

Anyone have experience with Cove?
    https://www.covesmart.com/home-7/

Know of any system that I can bypass the monitoring station (Monthly fee0 and just ring my cell phone?
    I work so close, I can be home before any police cloud be dispatched.
    - Rick Dale

The advantage of professional monitoring is that it often will provide an additional discount on your homeowner's insurance, not to mention faster access to first responders.
    --

Blog Entries
    I have the Xfinity system too. Wireless. I would expect most new systems to be.
    NOW you tell me...

Our home has a wireless system which was installed 15 years ago by Protection One (now owned by ADT). We have never had a false alarm or a malfunction. Sensor batteries last 3-4 years and are easily replaced. It has a cellular back-up system in case of land-line failure. (We no longer have a land line phone).

In light of what Jim B. posted, I should add that the Comcast/Xfinity setup is IP-based, with cellular backup.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Any security system is only as good as the responding officers. I worked for drug store chains that had a couple of different providers and none had really good response times. In fact we were working out side one store early in the morning when we set off the alarm and it was 20 minutes before anybody showed up. This was with ADT as the provider.

If our alarm, um...alarms...or has a fault, our monitoring company launches a call to us within about 30 seconds to ascertain if the issue is real. If we don't answer or don't provide the proper code word or confirm that it's a real issue, or if one of the dedicated panic buttons are pushed, our local first responders are here within about 2 minutes tops.
    --