Thread: Cherry Coffee Table Bowl

Cherry Coffee Table Bowl

Just trying something a little different for me. Had a large slab of cherry laying around that was begging for a good spinning.
    This is 12 1/2 inches in diameter and 2 1/2 inches high....finished with WOP satin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

You did a great job on a beautiful piece of wood. The texturing really tops it off. Thanks for sharing.

3. Top shelf John, especially the texturing.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Really nice!
    John, how do you do texturing like that? Manually with a knife of some sort?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks guys...it was pretty fun and the wood behaved nicely for the most part.
    Fred....a couple weeks ago I ran over to Hartville Hardware to look for toys. Found a nice Sorby Texturing tool and finally got a chance to try it out today.
    I'm not very good at it yet but I'll keep at it
    ~john

I thought you were a lacquer guy, all the way!!

That's very true Mikey. Lacquer is the nectar of life. I'm especially fond of Watco lacquer. Smells a little better and doesn't say so easily.
    But this piece was begging to be satin poly. It's a rebel
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Thanks guys...it was pretty fun and the wood behaved nicely for the most part.
    Fred....a couple weeks ago I ran over to Hartville Hardware to look for toys. Found a nice Sorby Texturing tool and finally got a chance to try it out today.
    I'm not very good at it yet but I'll keep at it
    The texturing sure looks like you have had a lot of practice. It looks like the rim is a little thicker - was that done to have more solid piece to texture without flexing? It seems that thin work tends to not get equal texturing due to flexing, Very nice piece.

Thanks Thomas
    I did the texturing before I cut the thickness of the rim. Gave me plenty of solid ground and I could start over if I screwed up.
    But I intentionally made this piece on the thick side. Dunno...was just in the mood for a coffee table bowl with some heft to it
    ~john