Thread: What the heck is the story on this Stanley #3 smoothing plane?

What the heck is the story on this Stanley #3 smoothing plane?

Picked this up at some point earlier this year, I cleaned it up and based on the criteria on hyperkitten I thought it was a type 16 even though I don't believe the knob or tote are rosewood (I could be wrong on that.) I have another No. 3 literally identical. Last night, it hit me that this supposed type 16 plane doesn't have a frog adjustment screw. I'm wondering how the heck is that? I thought every plane from type 10 on had a frog adjustment screw. What's going on here? I'm sure it'll end up being a "Doh!" moment but right now I'm confused (nothing new there).

IMG_9012.jpgIMG_9013.jpgIMG_9014.jpgIMG_9015.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 07-27-2019 at 7:20 PM.

In John Walter's excellent book, he notes that for Type 17, 1942-1945: "Some specimens of this period have been observed without frog adjustment screw or kidney shaped hole in lever cap" It also notes that wartime models are heavier castings and have an adjustment screw of smaller diameter steel or hard rubber. I think yours fits the bill on all counts, wartime production.

Blog Entries
    Try a magnet on the depth adjuster. Most of the Type 17 depth adjusters were made of steel. There may have been some brass adjusters left over from previous years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pete, Jim,
    That will teach me to "think" that John Walters book wouldn't have that level of detail and thus not check it first! Yes, the adjustment wheel is steel. I hit it with some steel wool thinking the "brass" would polish up but it was clearly not brass but steel. Well, this is my first wartime plane. I should have checked my books. Got both Walter's and Alvin Sellens books.

It's not possible to overstate how much John knows about all things Stanley.

Blog Entries
    Here is another good type study:

http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Another thing on the WWII planes is that the handles can also be stained beech or similar wood. I am partial to WWII planes as users. They have a shade more heft than the three-patents and sweethearts, but not the ridiculous amount that the modern copies have.

Type 17 wartime plane with hardwood handles and no frog adjuster. They typically have thicker castings....or they just didn't machine the rough casting very much. They can be good planes.