Thread: Big Boy 4014

Blog Entries

Big Boy 4014

A schedule for the largest steam engine in operation:

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

It is currently in Chicago for a few days. Then it will head to Iowa.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Folks I know who like to photograph trains, particularly historical units, are really salivating over this!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wish I could get over to Chicago to see this. Love those big locomotives. the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI has an Allegheny on display. 1.2 million pounds with loaded tender. It is a marvel to see.

5E24732E-454F-465D-ACCB-1C8585916DC8.jpg

Although it's called a "Big Boy," it's only in size. Hitched coupler to coupler at the end of the tender, a Norfolk and Western Y-6 would drag the "Big Boy" backwards. UP's Challenger would be dragged backwards by a N&W Class A engine, and 844 would also be dragged backwards by a N&W class J engine. There is a "Big Boy" at Steamtown National Park in Scranton PA. The Kentucky Steam program moved the C&O Berkshire to Ravinna KY this weekend for restoration. Uncle Pete (UP) owns more diesels than N&S and CSX combined.

5. I saw it in Utah at the 150 year commemoration of the linking of the transcontinental railroad. Impressive.

Jim Koepke,

I'd very much like to see The Big Boy 4014 in action as I was bowled over only by a scale model at a machinists' show in Pennsylvania (2014):

Locomotive 1 to 6 Model_Big Boy_LF_Front to Cab_4.20.14.jpg

Locomotive 1 to 6 Model_Big Boy_4.20.14.jpg

Casting_Cast Iron_Locomotive model frame_4.20.14.jpg

Untitled-23.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Now, that's a model train!

For those who enjoy model aircraft, at that same show:

Untitled-11.jpg

Untitled-19.jpg

Living in England for five years, I caught the steam train bug- a little- at least compared as to the real enthusiast who breathe steam. the British are very nostaglic about their past greatness and every few weeks, there would be news of The Flying Scotsman- of 1923.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 07-29-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    At the Franklin Institute in Philidelphia, they have this giant locomotive. The Baldwin 60000 weight 350 tons. As I recall the story, Baldwin built the thing and then couldn't really find a use for it. It was so heavy that the roadbed had to be beefed up. Then they had trouble finding engineers who could run it efficiently. Too complicated. So they gave it to The museum in 1933. It sure is big.

Yea, Roger, that's an impressive machine at FI!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...