Thread: How much lumber needed for a Morris chair?

How much lumber needed for a Morris chair?

I'm planning to build a Morris chair using the plans from Wood magazine (2004). I plan to use cherry. I will use 3/4" laminations for the four legs. The plans say 7 bf. will be enough for the legs. The arms, stretchers, corbels, and rails will be resawn from 6/4" stock to the needed thickness for these pieces. My question is how many board feet of 6/4" stock do I need to build the chair?

Blog Entries
    Is this a trick question. If the plans say you need 7 bdft of 6/4 stock then that is what you need to make the chair from 6/4 stock. If you don't plan on resawing, then those pieces would increase the amount needed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I"m sorry for the confusing information. I should have said the plans say the four laminated legs can be made from 3/4" stock. I will need 7 bf. of 3/4' stock to form the laminated legs. The rest of the chair pieces will be built from 6/4" stock.
    The arms, stretchers, corbels, spindles, rails will be reasawn from 6/4"stock to the needed thicknesses for these pieces. My question is how much 6/4" stock will be needed to build the chair?

Well, board feet is a volume measurement. So if you didn't have to worry about grain direction or match or stock lost in saw kerfs and jointing/planing, the answer would be 7 bf. The volume of wood in the finished leg, for example, doesn't care if it came from 3/4 stock or 6/4 stock, the finished total volume is the same. Of course you do have to worry about those things, so the practical answer is: probably more than 7 bf. Now that's not very helpful I know, but it's very dependent on the part dimensions (and the stock dimensions). One way to get an accurate estimate is to make a cut list showing how you will transform the 6/4 into the dimensions you need. Then you will know how much waste there will be, and that will let you calculate a better estimate.

I'll guess 50 to 100 bf and wait for a chair builder. 7bf isn't enough for a whole chair, I am sure of that.

Most Morris chairs require around 35 bd ft total. Most builders acquire around 50 bd ft to allow for waste.