Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer - Required Current Rating for Circuit: 20A or 30A?

I would recommend install 30 amp wire and use a 20 amp breaker if that makes you happy. If you upgrade latter it will be easy to up size the breaker safely. I do not see a home shop needing more then a 30 amp outlet except for a welder.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    BUT, they also looked like the never actually use most of the machines on their showroom floor, so that still left a bit of doubt in my mind.
    Yeah, not a lot of dust in the showroom. (they did turn on the RL125 for me so that I could get a feel for the noise level)

Matt

You will be fine with a 20A circuit. I have 3 different Felder machines with their 3KW motors and the same paper work that you have. Never tripped a breaker yet. Yes, the folks in Sacramento were not real sure as to breaker size. The response was sure but check the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would recommend install 30 amp wire and use a 20 amp breaker if that makes you happy. If you upgrade latter it will be easy to up size the breaker safely. I do not see a home shop needing more then a 30 amp outlet except for a welder.
    Bill D.
    Why potentially spend the money twice for a breaker, etc? The breaker protects the wire, so if the circuit is setup for 30 amp, just use 30 amp terminations. The breaker protects the wire, not the tool. Also, if you do a 20 amp breaker, you also have to do a 20 amp receptacle so the terminations are consistent. You can provide the means to connect a machine with a lower requirement to a higher capacity circuit (30 amp including terminations), but not vice versa.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Ben,

Tim over here in Felder Headquarters for the USofA.

A 20 amp breaker will work just fine with your machine.
    The machine itself doesn't see more than 15amps and has a limiter switch within the machine that would shut the machine off if it gets about 19amps.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Derr View Post
    Hey Ben,

Tim over here in Felder Headquarters for the USofA.

A 20 amp breaker will work just fine with your machine.
    The machine itself doesn't see more than 15amps and has a limiter switch within the machine that would shut the machine off if it gets about 19amps.

All the best
    Tim! Totally forgot we had a Felder rep hangin' around these parts! Thank you for the info!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

On a side note Tim Derr is absolutely the best. Not my actual territorial rep but he has helped me numerous times over the past year and knows how to make things happen. Thumbs up Tim!

Hey Greg,

I do it for you guys. It's my pleasure to serve. I take none of the glory.
    I appreciate the compliment though

All the best

You ot your answer straight from the source, but a potential cause for misleading/confusing information could be related to the differences in cutterheads. For example, I remember going through this with my PM201. The straight knife 5hp single phase motor is rated at 23amps. The 5hp single phase byrd cutterhead is rated at 28amps. Its the difference between 30 amp line and a 40 amp line. I run it on the 40 amp line, but its the same motor for both machines. Just that the spiral head is slightly more taxing on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    You ot your answer straight from the source, but a potential cause for misleading/confusing information could be related to the differences in cutterheads. For example, I remember going through this with my PM201. The straight knife 5hp single phase motor is rated at 23amps. The 5hp single phase byrd cutterhead is rated at 28amps. Its the difference between 30 amp line and a 40 amp line. I run it on the 40 amp line, but its the same motor for both machines. Just that the spiral head is slightly more taxing on the motor.
    Interesting. I guess that makes sense. I have the Silent-Power helical head.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Hi Patrick, the Felder Silent Power cutter head requires less power then the straight knife heads, motor current is approximately 20% less with the silent power cutter head.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Interesting. I guess that makes sense. I have the Silent-Power helical head.
    Ben, the SP head requires less motor power for the same work, compared to our straight knife heads.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Patrick, the Felder Silent Power cutter head requires less power then the straight knife heads, motor current is approximately 20% less with the silent power cutter head.

Regards, Rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Ben, the SP head requires less motor power for the same work, compared to our straight knife heads.........Rod.
    Well there ya go. Even more reason the 20A circuit should be more than adequate.

I have the AD941 and its edge of being on a 20amp circuit, you need like 25 amps so obviously I installed a 30 amp with 10awg to the breaker the thing is Felders Flying Lead is 12awg - Stupid... if anything fries on the Felder side I am holding them liable...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I have the AD941 and its edge of being on a 20amp circuit, you need like 25 amps so obviously I installed a 30 amp with 10awg to the breaker the thing is Felders Flying Lead is 12awg - Stupid... if anything fries on the Felder side I am holding them liable...

Mark
    Huh, Im surprised that unit came with a power cord attached to it. The A3-31 doesnt. I had to source my own stranded 12AWG power cord and then put an end on it.