Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few nice finds this morning...

Pete,
    I just saw the etch, apologies to all.

Regards,

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Tilson; 08-03-2019 at 9:04 PM. Reason: Eating crow!!!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Wondering now if Joe agrees with Pete's late '30s, early '40s assessment? It's nice to have some idea what period my old tools and machines came from because I just find it enjoyable thinking about the quality that will allow them to last for multiple generations. And perform well for each generation with some care and maintenance. Good stuff! :0)

Good interesting thread...Lots of knowledge, experience here...Thank you
    Jerry

It is definitely post 1928 (D-28). Could make a good saw, but the plate is nearly used up, if I'm seeing right.
    65 saws and I still can't see correctly. Sometimes the minds eye goes blind. You younger guys will find out in a few years.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    It is definitely post 1928 (D-28). Could make a good saw, but the plate is nearly used up, if I'm seeing right.
    65 saws and I still can't see correctly. Sometimes the minds eye goes blind. You younger guys will find out in a few years.
    What does it mean that "the plate is nearly used up"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    What does it mean that "the plate is nearly used up"?
    It looks like the saw has been sharpened a lot. In a few years, if the toe gets to light, you may want to make this into a panel saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It looks like the saw has been sharpened a lot. In a few years, if the toe gets to light, you may want to make this into a panel saw.

jtk
    Jim,
    Can you tell that by looking at the depth (or lack thereof) between the teeth? Or maybe it's by looking at the width of the saw at the tip? Suspect that actually wouldn't be the width but don't know it's official name.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 08-06-2019 at 4:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    Can you tell that by looking at the depth (or lack thereof) between the teeth? Or maybe it's by looking at the width of the saw at the tip? Suspect that actually wouldn't be the width but don't know it's official name.

Mike
    From the image in the original post from the spine of the saw to the paper over the teeth it looks like there is less than a couple of inches. Usually the depth of the plate at the toe is a bit deeper. Eventually the depth at the toe may be too shallow to keep the plate stiff when in use. That could be another 50 - 100 years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks Jim. I know it'll last the rest of my lifetime. Here's a pic of the saw tip. Just about an inch remaining. Any idea as to the breadth of that tip when this saw was new?

IMG_9063.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim. I know it'll last the rest of my lifetime. Here's a pic of the saw tip. Just about an inch remaining. Any idea as to the breadth of that tip when this saw was new?

IMG_9063.jpg
    The answer to your question is better left to someone who may actually have some information on the original specs.

jtk

To Those Interested,
    Thursday morning I was striking out at an estate sale I'd shown up early for and was about to leave empty-handed when I got a text from someone who is running an estate sale in Sep. She knew of my interest in old tools and in particular woodworking tools. She said they were clearing out the shops and sheds preparing for the estate sale and if I wanted I could come have a look early for anything that might be of interest to me. I couldn't get there fast enough! I came home with nineteen planes, sixteen of the wooden variety, one Record Marples No 7 almost new still in the box, a Stanley No 19 block plane and a Stanley No 45.

Most of the wooden planes (I don't know if these type of planes have a different name. ???) were made by a "M. CRANNELL" "ALBANY". One is "Bensen & Crannell Albany", Some of the others are "____ENT & CO. U.S." within a banner (Sargent & Co. ???), "DEFOREST BIRMINGHAM" and "_____ENFIELD TOOL CO. GREENFIELD, MASS." Would love to know any info on who made these planes and approximate age. They all have irons and "wedges" (?) with the exception of 2 which seem almost identical and one of those has an iron but no wedge and the other has a wedge but no iron. I paid $3 per plane for each of the wooden planes.

The Stanley No. 19 block plane (7" long) appears to be a type 2 from looking in the John Walter's Stanley Guide. It has the knuckle joint lever cap stamped "Pat. Dec. 28. 86.". Stamped on the body in fairly large type is "S R & L". Too much rust on the iron to tell what is stamped there. It appears I'm starting to collect Stanley user planes and I certainly didn't have a No. 19 (or 18).

I have a contact with a Stanley No. 45 who was willing to sell it to me for $80. It has the original wooden box and 18 cutters also with an original wooden cutter box, both sets of arms, etc. I guess it's a good thing I held off on buying it as I picked up this Stanley 45 at less than half of what he was willing to sell it to me at. It has both sets of arms and ALL the standard cutters plus #40 & #41. Judging by the Walter's guide I believe it's a type 16 (1936-1948) and the condition seems to be excellent. The cutters need to be cleaned up and one has significant pitting. The rosewood fence has some apparent intentional damage in one spot. I need to find an instruction manual and get it copied. I would love to try using it for some beading.

All in all it was a fun day and as I was about to leave with my haul of goodies I got a call from our son. He and his wife are expecting their first child (our 3rd grandson). They were at the hospital and her doctor was going to induce labor. Fyi, the little big (8lb 11oz, 21") fella was born on Friday and is going home today. All are doing well. What a wonderful weekend!!!

IMG_9096.jpgIMG_9073.jpgIMG_9121.jpgIMG_9124.jpgIMG_9123.jpgIMG_9127.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 08-11-2019 at 3:36 PM.

To Those Interested,
    Thursday morning I was striking out at an estate sale I'd shown up early for and was about to leave empty-handed when I got a text from someone who is running an estate sale in Sep. She knew of my interest in old tools and in particular woodworking tools. She said they were clearing out the shops and sheds preparing for the estate sale and if I wanted I could come have a look early for anything that might be of interest to me. I couldn't get there fast enough! I came home with nineteen planes, sixteen of the wooden variety, one Record Marples No 7 almost new still in the box, a Stanley No 19 block plane and a Stanley No 45.

Most of the wooden planes (I don't know if these type of planes have a different name. ???) were made by a "M. CRANNELL" "ALBANY". One is "Bensen & Crannell Albany", Some of the others are "____ENT & CO. U.S." within a banner (Sargent & Co. ???), "DEFOREST BIRMINGHAM" and "_____ENFIELD TOOL CO. GREENFIELD, MASS." Would love to know any info on who made these planes and approximate age. They all have irons and "wedges" (?) with the exception of 2 which seem almost identical and one of those has an iron but no wedge and the other has a wedge but no iron. I paid $3 per plane for each of the wooden planes.

The Stanley No. 19 block plane (7" long) appears to be a type 2 from looking in the John Walter's Stanley Guide. It has the knuckle joint lever cap stamped "Pat. Dec. 28. 86.". Stamped on the body in fairly large type is "S R & L". Too much rust on the iron to tell what is stamped there. It appears I'm starting to collect Stanley user planes and I certainly didn't have a No. 19 (or 18).

I have a contact with a Stanley No. 45 who was willing to sell it to me for $80. It has the original wooden box and 18 cutters also with an original wooden cutter box, both sets of arms, etc. I guess it's a good thing I held off on buying it as I picked up this Stanley 45 at less than half of what he was willing to sell it to me at. It has both sets of arms and ALL the standard cutters plus #40 & #41. Judging by the Walter's guide I believe it's a type 16 (1936-1948) and the condition seems to be excellent. The cutters need to be cleaned up and one has significant pitting. The rosewood fence has some apparent intentional damage in one spot. I need to find an instruction manual and get it copied. I would love to try using it for some beading.

All in all it was a fun day and as I was about to leave with my haul of goodies I got a call from our son. He and his wife are expecting their first child (our 3rd grandson). They were at the hospital and her doctor was going to induce labor. Fyi, the little big (8lb 11oz, 21") fella was born on Friday and is going home today. All are doing well. What a wonderful weekend!!!

IMG_9096.jpgIMG_9073.jpgIMG_9121.jpgIMG_9124.jpgIMG_9123.jpgIMG_9127.jpg
    WOW!!!! You did very very well...I'll take that 45 set off your hands for $50 to help you out... Seriously, GREAT haul!!!!
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Nice find Mike, here is a source for a manual:

https://woodandshop.com/wp-content/u...ane-Manual.pdf

It looks like it is a transitional instruction sheet since the photo images show a type model from before the micro adjustable fence. The drawn illustrations show the components of the micro adjust.

Your #45 appears to be missing the locking screw for the fence. Those can be difficult to find as it is an odd thread.

jtk

Thanks Jerry & Jim!

Jim,
    Where does the locking screw for the fence reside on the plane exactly? Anyone know where to find a blown up parts diagram? The ones I can find online aren't really legible.

IMAG0001.jpgIMAG0005.jpg
    Look right by the knob..
    What other views do you need?