Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few nice finds this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Look right by the knob..
    What other views do you need?
    I see it now, right there where the threaded hole is missing a screw! Thanks Steven! I googled "Stanley No 45 fence locking screw" and this is NOT what it found. Still searching for a replacement. Does this locking screw have a slotted head?

IMG_9143.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mike, it is the second most often missing part on a Stanley #45. For some reason people remove it and don't put it back. It is shown with an arrow here:

Fence Lock Bolt.jpg

It appears to be a 10-28 thread, not a common pitch.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No..it be a knurled thumbscrew. Most of which are found with most of the knurling worn away...by pliers.

Blog Entries
    Does this locking screw have a slotted head?
    No, it has a knurled head. Sometimes images on ebay show them replaced with a slotted screw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

You might see IF nhplaneparts would have one....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Mike, it is the second most often missing part on a Stanley #45. For some reason people remove it and don't put it back. It is shown with an arrow here:

Fence Lock Bolt.jpg

It appears to be a 10-28 thread, not a common pitch.

jtk
    Jim,
    Does the screw have an exact name? I've seen "locking screw for micro adjusting fence" which does not appear to be what I need. Given so many of these are missing I'm doubtful I'll ever find one but that won't keep me from trying. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    You might see IF nhplaneparts would have one....
    I'll check with them next weekend Steven. Thanks for that reminder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Jim,
    Does the screw have an exact name? I've seen "locking screw for micro adjusting fence" which does not appear to be what I need. Given so many of these are missing I'm doubtful I'll ever find one but that won't keep me from trying. :0)
    One of my manuals lists it as, "Fence Arm Set Screw."

jtk

One of my manuals lists it as, "Fence Arm Set Screw."

jtk
    Thanks for searching that out Jim. Much appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Thanks for searching that out Jim. Much appreciated!
    Your welcome, glad to be of help.

jtk

Congratulations on both counts! Hey, you got a whopper of a deal both ways. WOW!!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Hit a nearby estate sale this morning about 2 hours after it started, a few decent finds...WoodRiver No 4-1/2 smoothing plane, WoodRiver standard block plane, Eclipse style plane iron sharpening jig and the 3M Peltor Sport earmuffs. In all it was less than a Grant. The planes have a pretty good dusting of surface rust but look almost unused. The plane irons are already sitting in some Evaporust.

IMG_9291.jpg

Blog Entries
    Hit a nearby estate sale this morning about 2 hours after it started
    Not bad, but it makes me wonder what the early birds took home. Then again, maybe none of them were looking for woodworking tools.

jtk

Not bad, but it makes me wonder what the early birds took home. Then again, maybe none of them were looking for woodworking tools.

jtk
    Could be Jim. Although, I didn't really see much evidence the guy was a woodworker beyond the planes and sharpening jig. Did finally locate his whetstone. When I asked her how much they wanted for the block plane before answering she said "oh, there's another plane here somewhere". I pointed out that I was holding in my other hand? Apparently, the previous owner was an electrical engineer. The planes were far and above the highest quality tools in the garage. But I do wish now I had asked just out of curiosity. :0)

Blog Entries
    But I do wish now I had asked just out of curiosity. :0)
    One of my first questions is always about tools or more tools. It has lead me to some of my best encounters over the years.

Even in antique shops it has lead to some great deals. Many antique dealers know their competition. They also often work together to build up business. They know who deals in what and will even draw you a map if needed.

jtk