Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few nice finds this morning...

A few nice finds this morning...

I hit an estate sale this morning where the husband and wife had lived on this place for 70 years. My finds were a Disston D-23 hand saw, Stanley No 3 Type 16 smoothing plane, Stanley 9-1/4 block plane, can of Singer sewing machine oil and a Lion battery operated pencil sharpener. The hand saw and the planes are in really nice condition with only a very little light surface rust in places. The No 3 will get cleaned up and resold. I'll keep the 9-1/4 as I don't have one. I know nothing about the Disston saw. Is this a decent saw? Age? Thanks!

IMG_8991.jpgIMG_8992.jpg

The D23, of which i have a few, is a mid priced saw of good quality

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d23page.html
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    The D23, of which i have a few, is a mid priced saw of good quality

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d23page.html
    Brian,
    That just happens to be the link I found with a google search. At least I know this is a decent saw and likely worth the $3 I spent on it. It didn't help me date this particular saw though. Anyone know how to date these to any kind of period? The Stanley No 3 is pre-WWII and in great condition so for all I know the saw could be as well.

Thanks!
    Mike

Post a picture of the handle. There is a progression which can narrow it down. The earliest it might be is 1911 though and they made them right through the 1950s

Go to the Disstonian home page, about half way down is a link titled Medallions -- How Old Is My Saw? , that should give you waht you're looking for.

$3?....... Yeah, that's a Great deal
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    They would have come home with me, good find.

My grandson is going to take one of my #3 size planes and a #60 home with him to California.

Funny thing is the #3 was purchased at a yard sale not far from him many years ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Post a picture of the handle. There is a progression which can narrow it down. The earliest it might be is 1911 though and they made them right through the 1950s
    Pete,
    Here's the handle...

IMG_8994.jpgIMG_8995.jpg

Found the info Brian referenced above about dating the medallion. Definitely, a 1955-1990 saw. Anyone know what kind of wood the handle is likely made of?

Blog Entries
    Uhh, . . . . you need to visit this page.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

Some rate the D12 as being the best of the best.
    I have a D12.
    D-7 and D-8 saws are good saws. I have both.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-26-2019 at 4:52 PM.

Probably beech, H. K. Porter made that saw after they bought out Disston. I have two D-23's from that era. They are pretty good saws. Found a D-8 10 tpi Wednesday for $5.00, and all We have to do is clean it up, as it is sharp. It cuts very nicely. That saw would have gone home with me too. Nice find!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

This saw is a perfect example of why dating saws by the medallion alone can often lead to errors.

The medallion on that saw is not original to the saw, and neither is the aluminum nut at the top of the handle. The three brass screws, however are. The handle is of apple and the design is consistent with saws made just before WW II and just after. If I were to guess, I would say late 30s early 40s.

The medallion is not the only consideration. Take a look at the plate as well. The steel looks very bright to me to be early 1900's steel, and H.K. Porter use heavier plate than Disston. This saw is so mixed it could be anything. I will give one thing though, the tote is probably apple. Of course this is an opinion, and opinions are like noses, everybody has one. No disrespect to anyone, just another opinion. Pete, you may be correct. I just see it different, and thank you.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

D-23.jpg
    one of two such saws I have...$2 for this one, and..
    refurbbed saw.jpg
    This 6ppi was Free at another sale

Thanks to everyone for offering your opinion. Nice saws Steven!

Based on Joe's comments are there ways to tell from looking at the steel to help judge the age?
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 08-03-2019 at 1:19 AM.

Joe,

I don't follow the logic. Old saws can't have bright steel? I have some saws that are 150 years old with steel brighter than the OPs. If the steel was cared for and not hung in the barn, it will stay bright! Brightness is a function of rust and neglect. The handle is most definitely apple, not a ray fleck to be seen anywhere on that handle.

Regards,

Pete