Thread: How large a bowl can you turn on a Midi?

How large a bowl can you turn on a Midi?

This one is 12 7/16 and came out OK. It is Oak and Purple Heart for my niece whose boyfriend is making her an Oak and Purple Heart table.

E bowl on vacuum.jpg

Eliz bowl.jpg

What is the capacity of the lathe you are using? Whatever the specs say is the limits of your lathe. Sometimes, when you near that maximum diameter, it gets more difficult at the start of turning before the blank is balanced but, in general, you can go up to the limit. At least that's my experience on my own midi; a Nova Comet II.

The specs say it is a 12 1/2 inch swing. I very carefully cut the blank round and equally carefully placed an already round the glue block in the center. I was pleased but surprised when it cleared the bed without rubbing.

As long as the blank doesn't exceed the stated max, you should be able to turn it on your lathe as long as you cut the blank round to begin with. If you start with a square blank and turn the corners off, then, of course, the crucial measurement is from corner to corner off the square and the resulting bowl won't be 12".