Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Budget Jointer and Bandsaw options?

Bill,

Thanks so much for the write up! Very well done and in depth!

I feel like the Cutech may be the sweet spot for me now. It gets me The 8” width and also has the small foot print for my smaller sized shop.

You mentioned that you think a 6’ board is pushing this machine. To clarify, this is because of the 51” length? Therefore, even if I had a cabinet style Grizzly with only a 48” table, it would pose the same problem?

Hey John - it's not so much the length of the wood as it is the shortness of the fence, which is only 19 5/8". So its a very small area to press the board against while edging it, and a long board kinda wants to pivot on that short fence. When I was edge jointing the legs (red oak, 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 54" it was a hassle to keep the flat jointed face against the fence. It got done and it came out fine, square and all, but a grizzly fence is 10" longer and more solid so edging would be easier on that. Surfacing the face of the boards was fine, and it left a very nice finish. Not having used a jointer in 52 years means my technique is a whole lot rusty, so that plays a part as well. For me this machine does what I need, doesn't take up a lot of space, is portable and I saved a couple of hundred bucks. Bob's your uncle. Also, for me, it's not about the machine. Its a dinky little machine that Hammer owners will laugh at but so what. I'll be able to build some very nice things with it and that's all that matters.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

good review, Bill, and I concur with your review after having one myself, except I have not had any issues with my fence . Maybe I don't push as hard? Maybe I don't use the fence much, except for edge jointing? Dunno. You did not mention the finish..it is astounding, in my book.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    ........ You did not mention the finish..it is astounding, in my book.
    My mistake for not emphasizing it Michelle - yes, the finish is great. I expected to have to run both sides thru the planer but the way the Cutech leaves the surface I can resaw to thickness and have only that resawn side to plane. The other thing worth repeating is how quiet it is. It only adds 10 decibels to the noise my dust collector makes, bringing it to about 80. Don't even need ear protection. (but that's just me - all you kids out there muff up, ok?) After all the concerts I went to in the 60's and 70's, 80 decibels is sleepy time.

Michelle, you ever use it for anything other than surfacing and squaring? Anything other than 90 degrees?

When initially jointing a board that has significant curvature, I don't run the board through normally; instead I focus on just passing the high spots over the cutterhead. The full-length runs come as I get closer. (almost like using an upside-down hand plane) This might be a bit easier for the short beds.

Matt

Thx Matt - I'll give that a try