Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget Jointer and Bandsaw options?

I started building furniture as a hobby about 6 years ago. I purchased a Grizzly 6" jointer with a helical head once I had a couple projects under my belt and felt like I needed to "up my game". At the time I felt like I did not want to spend very much and I had no 220V outlets in my garage workshop. I looked briefly at the bigger size jointers and felt intimidated by the need for 220V, the size, and price of those larger machines. I was happy with the 6" jointer for a while until I realized how small it was. Most of the boards I was buying were more than 6" in width and I was having to use a jig for my planer or rip boards before jointing them. Eventually I bought a 220 V bandsaw and had an electrician install 3 220V outlets. So about 2 years after purchasing the 6" jointer I gave it away to a family member and purchased (invested, more accurately) a 16" European jointer/planer combo machine. If I had to do it over again, I still think I would have bought a small jointer first. I would not have been ready for the machine I have now just starting out.

So I think a 6" machine is great for developing skill and comfort in using a jointer, but that size is indeed very limiting. If at all possible, and you have 220V power available, consider saving a little while longer until you can obtain an 8" unit. If you do not have 220V power now, either purchase the 6" machine - knowing that an upgrade is in the future - or keep saving and use a jointing jig with your planer for now.

John - Post your location please.

I vote for quality used.

How do you feel about the used (in ready to go condition, not basket case) option ?

As far as the Griz vs Ridgid - The table length difference is a major consideration.

72" vs 45" at quick glance.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

How long are the boards you are joining with lap joints?

A dado stack is a possible approach, but you will get a cleaner cut if you use a tenoning jig. You can make one that rides on your fence. (Or another opportunity to look for a used tool:-).

Matt

Hey everyone, thank you so much for the feedback! I appreciate everyone’s honesty and sharing your experiences! Im going to try respond to everyone’s main posts, so here we go!

I live in Orange County, NY. The used market spanning upwards of 50miles from where I live, is either a pile of rust or big machines that are only $200 lower than brand new

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It is always easy to spend someone else's money and that is not my intention. I just wish folks hadn't been so polite when trying to steer me away from spending almost the amount of money for a better solution when I bought my first few tools (all gone now, at a loss, of course). I am just trying to save you from that expensive in-between step if you can make that happen.
    So are you suggesting to save a little extra and buy big or to start cheap/used and work my way up?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    How long are the boards you are joining with lap joints?

A dado stack is a possible approach, but you will get a cleaner cut if you use a tenoning jig. You can make one that rides on your fence. (Or another opportunity to look for a used tool:-).

Matt
    Board lengths are maybe 37-40” long. The lap joint would be about 2” on each end.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I hate to pile on, but I am strongly in the used camp as well. Like Mike, I typically make money off selling my tools when I upgrade. Also like Mike, I would have tools 1/4 as nice if I strictly purchased new....

You didn’t say, I don’t think, but what is your budget? Where are you located?
    I’m not sure I understand having less nice tools if you bought new? Is this due to new tools costing more vs used tools in your area?

I was ideally trying to stay around the $600-700 range for each tool but it looks like that’s not feasible for a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    ...I bought a table model 8 inch Cutech jointer. WOW what a finish those carbide inserts give. You have so many choices in the machinery market today than I had 35 yrs ago, I am jealous ...the rigid, griz, and rikon are great tools for homeowner type work
    How do you like that cutech? Just learning about it...could be a huge win for the space issue and then being an 8”. However, I’m nervous of the teflon table vs cast iron and also the trueness of the table/extension wings. Any feedback on it is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    John - Post your location please.

I vote for quality used.

How do you feel about the used (in ready to go condition, not basket case) option ?

As far as the Griz vs Ridgid - The table length difference is a major consideration.

72" vs 45" at quick glance.

Marc
    The Griz table is 47” not 72”. Perhaps looking at the wrong model? I’m not opposed to used if it’s in good condition. One issue, however, is getting it home. I don’t have a pickup or a trailer. I do have an SUV though...and the location is posted at the top of this post.

Thank you all again, this has been very helpful!
    Last edited by John Nicoletti; 07-28-2019 at 8:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Nicoletti View Post
    So are you suggesting to save a little extra and buy big or to start cheap/used and work my way up?
    Again, what is right for me may not be right for you. In milling lumber true and square I require a jointed face first. This is the reference surface for my edge jointing. It is the reference surface for my thickness planing, resawing, etc. Since much of what I make requires glue-ups to create wider panels I prefer to face joint three 7" boards rather than four 5-1/2" boards (for example). This makes the wider jointer important to me.

So, if it were me I would save a bit longer and go straight to an 8" machine. I still use a planer sled for 10" or 12" boards for the times that comes into play; wide drawer faces, resawing veneer, etc. It is true that you can edge joint on a tablesaw as long as you already have a true face to reference from. With a 6" jointer, 6" will be the width limit for face jointing, without tricks, on the jointer. There are workarounds for a jointer that is narrower than the board you need to joint. I prefer the planer sled and planer to taking the pork chop off of the jointer. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

John one thing that I have found if you want good used tools you have to be willing to travel. Expand your radius to like 2-300 miles. Most of my used tools have come from Calgary,this is about 300 km away from me. I have driven much further . I would rather buy a machine that has been used and had the kinks worked out than have to deal with customer service/warranty issues. Also I can put my hands on and check out the machine personally before money changes hands. Good stuff is out there and being found by those who are willing to put in the effort.

More info you requested about the cutech. First my old delta 6" cast iron jointer's bed length is SHORTER than the cutech's with wings extended. The cutech is a tabletop model, and no , I would not joint a 12 ft 2x10 on it, but for furniture/ small projects I think it is the cat's pajamas. I have relegated my old delta 6" to the storage room , just in case. Easier to roll the little cutech around the shop to give myself room to assemble big projects. whatever you decide, make it fun and enjoy creating things of beauty for yourself and your loved ones
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    More info you requested about the cutech. First my old delta 6" cast iron jointer's bed length is SHORTER than the cutech's with wings extended. The cutech is a tabletop model, and no , I would not joint a 12 ft 2x10 on it, but for furniture/ small projects I think it is the cat's pajamas. I have relegated my old delta 6" to the storage room , just in case. Easier to roll the little cutech around the shop to give myself room to assemble big projects. whatever you decide, make it fun and enjoy creating things of beauty for yourself and your loved ones
    Thanks, Michelle! Is yours the Teflon bed? Any issues with it? Also, would it be possible to joint a 2x6x84 on it or is it not long enough with the extensions?
    Last edited by John Nicoletti; 07-28-2019 at 9:15 AM.

14" Delta bandsaw $400 . plus other tools - pretty fair prices

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls...927719507.html

I am actually w only 10 minutes glancing around a few CL's near OP... finding quite abit... Delta/ Rockwell, powermatic. jet, etc

Quite a bit to choose from around Orange county, NY.

another - in OP back yard - https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...943771847.html
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-29-2019 at 3:05 AM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Blog Entries
    The tools in in the first craigslist post look better than anyone could wish for.

I am actually w only 10 minutes glancing around a few CL's near OP... finding quite abit... Delta/ Rockwell, powermatic. jet, etc

another - in OP back yard - https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...943771847.html

I tried the used route.
    All I found was overpriced junk or stuff located a couple/three hour drive away or broken equipment - plus, I looked for a couple years for stuff to come along. Add to it the fact that I don't know the equipment well enough to know what's broken and what's decent.

For me - it just ain't worth it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I tried the used route.
    All I found was overpriced junk or stuff located a couple/three hour drive away or broken equipment - plus, I looked for a couple years for stuff to come along. Add to it the fact that I don't know the equipment well enough to know what's broken and what's decent.

For me - it just ain't worth it.
    I agree with Rich. Even though I do have the expertise to repair used equipment, I choose to buy new to avoid the "head aches' that are sometimes associated with "previously owned equipment".
    I like Grizzly - most bang for the buck! But there are many other vendors who supply quality new equipment as well.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by John Nicoletti View Post
    Thanks, Michelle! Is yours the Teflon bed? Any issues with it? Also, would it be possible to joint a 2x6x84 on it or is it not long enough with the extensions?
    Thx for starting this thread John - I'm in about the same situation as you are. And am looking forward to any info Michelle can share about the Cutech.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Thanks for searching that, and I have been keeping a closer eye on postings spanning through NJ and CT now.

Call me crazy but in either instance of what you posted...a new bandsaw or jointer can be had for $200 more...? Plus, regarding the delta, we have no idea of the model or specs (HP)? Granted I”m assuming and comparing it to a new Grizzly 1HP. Taking into consideration that they give no information - that price for either of them...might as well go new IMO and getting It shipped then trying to figure out how to lug that hunk of metal home haha.

Since I’m also starting out, should there be any issues with the equipment, I’ll spend more time learning how to fix it than actually being productive with it. Just my 2 cents.

The Griz jointer was not a steal.. just an example.

The band saw is a fair deal and a very well known saw.

Everyone has different preferences and should go the direction they feel best.

I for example have a very strong lean toward USA made "Old Arn", and am very prejudiced against asian made tools, or anything else given a choice.

In your shoes you clearly have a preference for new... that's the route you should go.

You said there is nothing available around you but junk and rust.

What you see is what it is.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-29-2019 at 9:15 PM.