I started building furniture as a hobby about 6 years ago. I purchased a Grizzly 6" jointer with a helical head once I had a couple projects under my belt and felt like I needed to "up my game". At the time I felt like I did not want to spend very much and I had no 220V outlets in my garage workshop. I looked briefly at the bigger size jointers and felt intimidated by the need for 220V, the size, and price of those larger machines. I was happy with the 6" jointer for a while until I realized how small it was. Most of the boards I was buying were more than 6" in width and I was having to use a jig for my planer or rip boards before jointing them. Eventually I bought a 220 V bandsaw and had an electrician install 3 220V outlets. So about 2 years after purchasing the 6" jointer I gave it away to a family member and purchased (invested, more accurately) a 16" European jointer/planer combo machine. If I had to do it over again, I still think I would have bought a small jointer first. I would not have been ready for the machine I have now just starting out.

So I think a 6" machine is great for developing skill and comfort in using a jointer, but that size is indeed very limiting. If at all possible, and you have 220V power available, consider saving a little while longer until you can obtain an 8" unit. If you do not have 220V power now, either purchase the 6" machine - knowing that an upgrade is in the future - or keep saving and use a jointing jig with your planer for now.