Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airless Paint Sprayer Recommendations?

For owners of the X5

Why did you chose the X5 vs the cheaper Project Painter Plus?
    Recommended annual usage is 50 gal vs 125 gal.
    I will be lucky to use 50 gal in a lifetime.

I liked the reviews of the Harbor Freight linked above but the Graco can be had for about the same price if you search for a good deal. Menard s is $209 and amazon has been as cheap as $169 in the last few months.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-29-2019 at 7:18 PM. Reason: Add info.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My Lowe’s matched the Menards sale price so I picked up the Project Plus based on Dave’s recommendation. Probably starting this project this week.

I haven't looked at either one of those. The pump is not as important as the gun. If both have the same gun, get the cheaper one. If one has a better gun, get the one with the better gun. A gun that takes the Fine Finish Low Pressure tips cost around 150. I'm using a 30, or 35 year old commercial pump with a good gun. For painting walls, it might not matter much, but when they came out with the Fine Finish tips for airless (previously only for Air Assisted Airless), I sold my good turbine setup the first time I used a FF tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    My Lowe’s matched the Menards sale price so I picked up the Project Plus based on Dave’s recommendation. Probably starting this project this week.

Matt
    Keep me posted with your experience. May plan to do my 3 car garage this fall.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave - I suppose you could use RV anti freeze (LOL! I didn't feel right typing RV-AF! ) if you have it.
    (I don't want anything with ethelyne glycol in it around my hounds.)
    Since I don't have any real use for the RV stuff, I'd just use mineral spirits - since I do have a use for that.

The whole idea is to keep something "oily" on the insides of the pump & gun.
    Some of the positive displacement Graco pumps also have leather packings on the piston & throat seal. The "oily" stuff keeps the leather from drying out and/or expanding due to moisture.

I haven't looked at either one of those. The pump is not as important as the gun. If both have the same gun, get the cheaper one
    Same gun on both.
    Same gun you get on the more expensive units also.

Actually - the pump is critical.

The low end unit is a disposable. The one a step above can be rebuilt over and over and over again by just replacing the pump assembly. Go a couple steps up and you can buy kits to repair the packings in the pump.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 07-30-2019 at 6:36 AM.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have always kept Graco Pump Armor in mine, since I stopped using oil based paint in it 25 years ago, or more. Then, I kept Mineral Spirits in it. I've never been in my pump, and I can't remember when I bought it, but sometime in the late '80's. It doesn't get used often, but always several times a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Inc-243...40464847&psc=1

The HF sprayer I referenced up thread is now on sale for $169 with a coupon.

I use the RV antifreeze for my pressure washer since the little spray cans are stupid expensive. A gallon of the RV stuff goes a looooonnnnggg way.

I also use RV antifreeze in the pressure washer. I put it in an empty water hose, hook that to the pressure washer, and a faucet, and run enough water through it until I see pink, and stop immediately. A gallon fills the 100' hose on the pressure washer, and I still see pink in the clear inlet filter bowl, so I know it's safe.

I don't know what's in the Pump Armor, but sometimes my airless sprayer rig might sit for a couple of years, or more, between uses (I do so many different things), so I don't want to cheap out on its protection. So far, no complaints. The rig has always been ready to go. I think it might be cheaper in a store than on Amazon. Amazon has to add in for the free shipping.

I picked up a graco prox17 as a floor model from a local paint store. Got a pretty good deal and we live on an island so you gotta take what you can get when you can get it. It was a little more machine than I originally wanted but glad I made the investment. Our new (to us) house has high T&G ceilings throughout and there’s no way I was gonna stand on a scaffold with a brush and roller to do all those grooves. It’s been a life saver. As far as that blue pump armor they sell goes , I suspect it’s just MS anyway. +1 for the Idaho Painter videos, some good info on the guns,tip selection and a few other tricks there.
    FF0E681A-D7C2-4475-B47D-9998B109D42E.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Fish; 08-25-2019 at 10:55 PM.