Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Choosing lathe - Grizzly question

Perhaps this will be the last or second-to-the-last post on this thread.

To the OP: you have a good amount of feedback. You know your options.

Someone once attributed to Harry Truman the 49-51 % dilemma. What do you choose? His comment was that if both choices are roughly the same, just choose one. It doesn't really matter. If the information is such that the two choices are roughly the same, then it really doesn't matter all that much which one you choose. Both are reasonable choices. So -- it boils down to it being time to either "Fish or cut bait".

Let us know what you choose.

Will do Thanks all.

One thing that could make a difference is the spindle size and swing. Gris is 1 1/4” and I think the PM is 1 1/2”. Swing I think is a couple more inches for the PM . Not sure but you can check it out. I have the G0 0766 and like it. No beef here with it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    One thing that could make a difference is the spindle size and swing. Gris is 1 1/4” and I think the PM is 1 1/2”. Swing I think is a couple more inches for the PM . Not sure but you can check it out. I have the G0 0766 and like it. No beef here with it.
    The Powematic lathes have 1-1/4” x8 tpi spindle....same as the G0766! The only PM lathe that has larger swing is the PM4224b....their largest lathe with 24” swing. Both the 3520b and 3520c have 20” swing.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The older PM 90 is the only 1 1/2" spindle nose thread I'm aware of that PM ever made.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Went to Woodcraft today to see if I could put my hands on something and the only large lathe on display was the Powermatic 3520C. Definitely nice, but 2000 dollars too high for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Perhaps this will be the last or second-to-the-last post on this thread.
    [snip]
    Brice, with this thread title? Not a chance! I've yet to meet a fellow woodturner who isn't happy to help out with friendly advice.

OP, here's another idea. Grizzly has a local referral program. Give them a call with the item number. They may be able to put you in touch with other G0766 owners in your zip code. For privacy reasons, they don't give out phone numbers and full names, and they used to limit it to folks who've purchased the item within the past year. I suspect you're not the only turner in Tucson who's gone through this process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lilley View Post
    [snip]You will find the castings, ergonomics and fit/finish to be much nicer on the Jet/Powermatic/Laguna vs the Grizzly.[snip]
    Well, I'm pretty much a stickler when it comes to production quality. I've kicked the tires on them all, and I couldn't disagree more with this.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Well, I'm pretty much a stickler when it comes to production quality. I've kicked the tires on them all, and I couldn't disagree more with this.
    I love comments like this without any specifics. I don't get the emphasis on finish. Who cares? I wouldn't care if they didn't even paint the things. After all it's going to be dirty in about 5 minutes.

As for fit. What is that exactly in a lathe? And what specific fit issues are there with the lathe of the post? I understand fit when there are a lot of faying surfaces. But a lathe has few of these features.

From what I've seen, all powermatic equipment have a better pain job than most others. I believe powermatic switches are of better quality than most too. Does that make them worth $2K more? Not to me. The rest of the powermatic doesn't standout significantly above the rest.

On the Lagunas. These are very new designs. I've seen far too many instances of problems with them, and very spotty customer service. Perhaps the former is a consequence of new design kinks. They do have a nice paint job (so what) and steel beds (don't get it's advantage). Time will tell about the controls; stylish yes, but will they be that in 10 years of use? Will they hold up? I was about to buy a Laguna. Then I read too many things not good. Decided to go with the Griz instead.

Jet. Please. No better fit or finish than any Grizzly machine I've seen. I own 2 jet tools. They are about the same as Grizzly, at best.

If you are going to claim others are better, then you should be prepared to back that up with specifics about THIS lathe. What's wrong with it? How's it less in anyway? What lathe at this price point is better, and how?
    Last edited by tom lucas; 08-05-2019 at 6:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I love comments like this without any specifics. I don't get the emphasis on finish. Who cares? I wouldn't care if they didn't even paint the things. After all it's going to be dirty in about 5 minutes.

As for fit. What is that exactly in a lathe? And what specific fit issues are there with the lathe of the post? I understand fit when there are a lot of faying surfaces. But a lathe has few of these features.

From what I've seen, all powermatic equipment have a better pain job than most others. I believe powermatic switches are of better quality than most too. Does that make them worth $2K more? Not to me. The rest of the powermatic doesn't standout significantly above the rest.

On the Lagunas. These are very new designs. I've seen far too many instances of problems with them, and very spotty customer service. Perhaps the former is a consequence of new design kinks. They do have a nice paint job (so what) and steel beds (don't get it's advantage). Time will tell about the controls; stylish yes, but will they be that in 10 years of use? Will they hold up? I was about to buy a Laguna. Then I read too many things not good. Decided to go with the Griz instead.

Jet. Please. No better fit or finish than any Grizzly machine I've seen. I own 2 jet tools. They are about the same as Grizzly, at best.

If you are going to claim others are better, then you should be prepared to back that up with specifics about THIS lathe. What's wrong with it? How's it less in anyway? What lathe at this price point is better, and how?
    Not wanting to speak for David, but I think you took his comment the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by David Pichevin View Post
    Not wanting to speak for David, but I think you took his comment the other way around
    Oops!. I meant to respond to Jack's comment.

[QUOTE=tom lucas;2943302]I love comments like this without any specifics. I don't get the emphasis on finish. Who cares? I wouldn't care if they didn't even paint the things. After all it's going to be dirty in about 5 minutes.

Okay here are some specifics for you:
    1. The indexing on the 0766 sucks, has like 12 or maybe 24 stops and you have to screw a stud into a hole for each stop, poorly designed.
    2. Same for a spindle lock, screw the stud into the hole. There had been 2 or 3 guys that broke the headstock casting doing this.
    3. Get your file out and file the spindle on your brand new lathe so the chucks will seat properly.
    4. When you want to change the belts screw the little stud in and out to open the door, inconvenient when compared to many other lathes.
    5. No accessories such as a vacuum adaptor fit this spindle so you get to make mostly all your own things, no bed extensions, no tool rests unless you drill the hole to fit and then the original tool rest won't work.
    6. Knock out bar, spur drive and live center supplied are poor quality when other lathe manufacturers are supplying higher end equipment.
    7. How many pots do you keep in the toolbox for replacements?
    8. The banjo on the G0766 I had did not set flat on the bed ways, the bed ways were not parallel with each other, when locking the banjo I had to really lock it down before it would stay in place.
    9. Do you do much hollowing? I do. After drilling hollow forms a few times it became difficult to screw the quill in and out of the tailstock. Finally I discovered the groove that keeps the quill straight had a large burr on it, after filling it off the quill worked fine. Well wouldn't you know every time I would drill a few hollowforms I would have to take the quill apart and file it to get it working properly again.
    10. How about the cheap plastic handle on to run the quill in and out.
    11. Again while hollowing I would take the tailstock off and on allot to use the hollowing rig. The tailstock never goes back on easily, always have to get everything just so before it would slide into place.
    12. How about the lathe being about 6 or 8" taller than it should be. I'm 6'-1 and I put down a 1" thick pad to stand on to be comfortable.
    13. The width of the legs are to narrow making the lathe unstable with large unbalanced pieces.

So here are a few reasons, I could list more. I'm not looking for an argument with anyone, if your happy with your Grizzly thats great, everyone is not happy with them. I simple suggested to the OP he check them out, hands on, for himself if he was able to. If the G0766 lathes are so wonderful why do you guys get so defensive about them? They should speak for themselves if the quality is so great. So it doesn't matter to me what the OP buys for a lathe. I hope he finds one that he is comfortable with and that meets his needs. Also I hope you G0766 owners are happy with you lathes and enjoy turning on them. Some people do care about convenience of use, the ability to add accessories if desired, one lathe doesn't fit all.

You must have had an older model. It is my understanding there were some issues with the early models. But much of what you claim is not true for new G0766. And what is true is nit-picking. You can do that with just about all of them at this price point.

You don't have to screw anything in to use the spindle lock. Stick it in the hole and it stays. Primitive, yes. But simple is often best. Look at what Laguna users are doing to make their locks work "acceptably". Fancier is not always better.
    There are vacuum chucks that work with this lathe.
    Banjo has been redesigned. Mine works great and uses standard 1" tool rests. No drilling or modifying necessary.
    No issues with my tailstock of any kind. moves nicely, locks great, on/off easily.
    Metal handles/cranks on my tailstock. There are no plastic components beyond the control panel, anywhere.
    I believe the legs were redesigned too. I'm 5'8". Lathes not too high for me. I've had some crazy out of balance loads and the lathe is stable, and that's on a wooden floor with a basement under it at the edge of a stairwell (weakest point on the floor).
    If you are a heavy user of indexing, it might not be the best choice. I doubt I'll ever use that feature myself. And 24 settings is every 15 degrees. I can't imagine I'd need finer. I guess there are some that might.
    If closing a door with a thumbscrew is something to complain about.....well. How often do you change belts? Me, twice in 6 months, mainly just testing it out. Some might view the setscrew as better than a magnet. I thought I cared, but now realize I don't.
    Filing the head spindle is not necessary for all chucks. I did have to do it for my Vicmarc chuck. I think it took about 30 seconds and left no signs of alteration. Likely a consequence of metric vs. imperial units.
    I've never cored, but I've hollowed some big bowls. I've never felt the need to remove the tailstock for this. And I have the head in from the end about 12". So I'm not even using the whole bed.
    I haven't found an occasion that would put such pressure on the tailstock that it would damage the quill.

[QUOTE=Jack Lilley;2943906]
    Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post

Okay here are some specifics for you:
    1. The indexing on the 0766 sucks, has like 12 or maybe 24 stops and you have to screw a stud into a hole for each stop, poorly designed.
    2. Same for a spindle lock, screw the stud into the hole. There had been 2 or 3 guys that broke the headstock casting doing this.
    3. Get your file out and file the spindle on your brand new lathe so the chucks will seat properly.
    4. When you want to change the belts screw the little stud in and out to open the door, inconvenient when compared to many other lathes.
    5. No accessories such as a vacuum adaptor fit this spindle so you get to make mostly all your own things, no bed extensions, no tool rests unless you drill the hole to fit and then the original tool rest won't work.
    6. Knock out bar, spur drive and live center supplied are poor quality when other lathe manufacturers are supplying higher end equipment.
    7. How many pots do you keep in the toolbox for replacements?
    8. The banjo on the G0766 I had did not set flat on the bed ways, the bed ways were not parallel with each other, when locking the banjo I had to really lock it down before it would stay in place.
    9. Do you do much hollowing? I do. After drilling hollow forms a few times it became difficult to screw the quill in and out of the tailstock. Finally I discovered the groove that keeps the quill straight had a large burr on it, after filling it off the quill worked fine. Well wouldn't you know every time I would drill a few hollowforms I would have to take the quill apart and file it to get it working properly again.
    10. How about the cheap plastic handle on to run the quill in and out.
    11. Again while hollowing I would take the tailstock off and on allot to use the hollowing rig. The tailstock never goes back on easily, always have to get everything just so before it would slide into place.
    12. How about the lathe being about 6 or 8" taller than it should be. I'm 6'-1 and I put down a 1" thick pad to stand on to be comfortable.
    13. The width of the legs are to narrow making the lathe unstable with large unbalanced pieces.

So here are a few reasons, I could list more. I'm not looking for an argument with anyone, if your happy with your Grizzly thats great, everyone is not happy with them. I simple suggested to the OP he check them out, hands on, for himself if he was able to. If the G0766 lathes are so wonderful why do you guys get so defensive about them? They should speak for themselves if the quality is so great. So it doesn't matter to me what the OP buys for a lathe. I hope he finds one that he is comfortable with and that meets his needs. Also I hope you G0766 owners are happy with you lathes and enjoy turning on them. Some people do care about convenience of use, the ability to add accessories if desired, one lathe doesn't fit all.