Quote Originally Posted by Randy Hogan View Post
I have a G0766. I'm not happy with the tool rest/ banjo design. And I'm quite positive I get vibration from it when I don't think I would with a tool rest that's designed correctly, in my opinion. I've debated on buying a different banjo but I haven't done so yet.
The banjo/toolrest design that is used on the Grizzly G0766 is an old standard tried and tru type design. Many of the old Delta lathes used the same style rest, and the banjo on the G0766 is solid, beefy in its construction and does a fine job. The rest has a shoulder that sits on the top of the banjo neck......there are better designs out there now, especially the Robust rests, which numbers of us 0766 owners have upgraded to.

For the price point, the large and feature filled G0766 comes in at, I think one cannot expect premium features that come on some much higher priced machines. I knew going in to my G0766 purchase, that I would likely upgrade the toolrests, as I had done on earlier lathes. Even with upgrading with the six Robust rests I have and use for my G0766, and G0800, I still have a fine lathe with less invested than some others have paid for their more expensive models, yet I have as good performance as any Powermatic I have ever turned on, and that is quite a few of them.

Wouldn't it be great if we all could get absolutely premium features, build and quality for dirt cheap prices? I get it......I really do, but on the lathe market the G0766 is the best bang for the buck out there, and can be tweaked with a couple of upgrades, like the tool rests, and get premium performance.