Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choosing lathe - Grizzly question

1. Quote Originally Posted by Randy Hogan View Post
    I have a G0766. I'm not happy with the tool rest/ banjo design. And I'm quite positive I get vibration from it when I don't think I would with a tool rest that's designed correctly, in my opinion. I've debated on buying a different banjo but I haven't done so yet.
    The banjo/toolrest design that is used on the Grizzly G0766 is an old standard tried and tru type design. Many of the old Delta lathes used the same style rest, and the banjo on the G0766 is solid, beefy in its construction and does a fine job. The rest has a shoulder that sits on the top of the banjo neck......there are better designs out there now, especially the Robust rests, which numbers of us 0766 owners have upgraded to.

For the price point, the large and feature filled G0766 comes in at, I think one cannot expect premium features that come on some much higher priced machines. I knew going in to my G0766 purchase, that I would likely upgrade the toolrests, as I had done on earlier lathes. Even with upgrading with the six Robust rests I have and use for my G0766, and G0800, I still have a fine lathe with less invested than some others have paid for their more expensive models, yet I have as good performance as any Powermatic I have ever turned on, and that is quite a few of them.

Wouldn't it be great if we all could get absolutely premium features, build and quality for dirt cheap prices? I get it......I really do, but on the lathe market the G0766 is the best bang for the buck out there, and can be tweaked with a couple of upgrades, like the tool rests, and get premium performance.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I decided to chime in on this one, just for the fun of it. I can second what Roger Chandler told you. I bought a Jet 1642 2hp several years ago. Being the tight individual I am, I ordered a couple of what I'd call middle-of-the-road chucks, and tried them on the lathe. I noticed runout while turning and wondered what I was doing wrong. I carried the head of my lathe to a repair shop to have them check it for runout and it showed it as running true.

Then, I bought a dial indicator gauge after continuing to notice runout while turning. I checked the spindle on the head of the lathe again and the gauge indicated it was running true. I then placed one of my chucks on the lathe and tested it with the indicator gauge. I don't know what's considered acceptable runout, but there was what I'd consider a fairly significant variance or runout on the chuck jaws while it was seated on the spindle of the lathe. I initially wrote down the amount of runout on each jaw of the chucks, but don't know where I put it. I think I do remember the runout being in the hundredths of an inch, which probably isn't considered an acceptable tolerance.

By the time I got around to this, my warranty had expired on the chucks, so I just put them aside and purchased a Vicmarc chuck instead. No more runout.

The moral of my story: What you may be seeing as runout on videos might NOT be the manufacturer of the lathe's fault. I don't know which specific video(s) you're seeing, but if the turnings are mounted on anything other than the spindle itself, the runout could be with the chuck, faceplate, etc.

A second moral to my story: Trying to save money on the front end sounds great, but doesn't always work in the long run. I'm all for saving a buck where I can, and more power to all of you guys (and girls) who are able to turn successfully on the less expensive lathes and with less expensive chucks. BUT, spending a little more money on the lathes and/or accessories will work to your benefit if you think you're getting into this for the long haul. My first lathe, a Harbor Freight, was purchased with the permission of my boss so I could have a hobby. After turning on it for a couple of years, I received permission from the boss to purchase a larger, more sturdy lathe, so I could increase the size of my turnings. My boss likes large bowls and vases.

If you're just considering dabbling into this hobby of turning, I can understand and encourage you to consider the financial aspect of purchases, but if you think you're serious about turning, accessories are worth considering.

If you read this forum or others long enough, you'll find reviews and posts that will both encourage and discourage you to purchase a certain piece of equipment (including most of the more well-known lathes) for the most part. I can tell you, for what it's worth, that if I were starting over again today, knowing and reading what I've known and read over the years, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase certain Grizzly lathes or the Laguna lathes. Back when I purchased my Jet, Grizzly wasn't known for their lathes and Laguna wasn't even making them, if I remember correctly. My Jet has served my needs well. I can't knock it, even though they no longer make that specific model anymore. I've abused it and it's still running. I haven't hesitated to put out-of-round chunks of logs on it and turn them into bowls and vases, although I do it at a low speed. I learned that after chasing my Harbor Freight around the garage trying to turn a chunk of wood into a bowl. I wore out doing that.

In summary, I'd encourage you to read, watch videos, but do it with the understanding that what you're seeing might not indicate what your actual experience will be if you try the same thing with your lathe, chuck, etc. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do!!

Thanks for this, Mikey.

I always do a lot of research on anything that I'm interested in, and in this case I wanted to hear from actual owners directly. Like anything I do, I don't intend to just dabble, and in this case, generate some side business, but we'll see. Max budget remains the same though, for now. As for accessories, I've already planned for that. For a chuck, I'll probably go for a Oneway Talon. I have a Barracuda 2 for my small HF lathe, and I absolutely hate the double bar system to tighten/loosen.

The simple fact is that if you want the best of everything you are going to spend 3 to 4 times the cost of the G0766. The question is do you need the best or are you willing to buy the best? If not then Grizzly is one of several options. I've replaced the tool rest on mine because I wanted better. If I felt the banjo wasn't good enough for my needs (and I have looked) I would replace it with one from Oneway. But I can do it at my pace. The "problem" with turning is the never ending desire to spend money on things you will want so you can expand what you can achieve. Most of us have a limited budget or impose limits to our spending. The G0766 fits in nicely if your desire is a lathe with a large swing. Is the tool rest or banjo on a Laguna, Jet, or Nova (or even the powermatic) any better?

5. Alex makes a good point. The G0766 has the major components covered for high end....the 3 hp motor, the advanced inverter, the ways are polished nicely, beefy tailstock and quill....on par with the Powermatics and Jets. The banjo is very good and really well built. I have a Oneway banjo and the large Grizzly that was made and shipped to us. If that second banjo had been the first to come with the units, when they came on the market, then I would never have ordered the Oneway. The Grizz banjo locks down just as solid, and the only advantage of my Oneway banjo is the post locking mechanism. Instead of the end of a hardened screw pressing against the toolrest post, the Oneway has a machined tip that wraps the post as it presses against the post, and thus will not mar the post.

The G0766 comes with the major things needed in a lathe well covered. One might argue finish on the leg castings and bed are better on some higher end lathes, but those refinements have nothing to do with function. Unless one is festidious about how their lathe looks, and never finishes projects on the lathe, etc, then the lathe will get dirty for sure! I keep mine pretty nice, but it gets drips of finish on it, has to be cleaned after roughing out wet wood, and looses that brand new appearance in short order, so really how much value is the extra refinement on leg castings, etc anyway?

Coming from someone who has turned on many powermatics, Jets, and the Robust American Beauty and the Serious SL2542, numerous midi lathes, I can tell you the major things are covered with the G0766, with the exception of a swing away tail stock, but the bed ways are long enough that for most things, push it to the end, and it will be out of the way, and taking the tailstock off is easy peasy, albeit, a little heavy.

I do not need, and cannot afford "the best". As of now, it will still be between the Grizzly and one of the Jets, most likely the 1840. I will not need the 22 inch capacity of the Grizzly, but it doesn't hurt to have it. So I have time to make a decision when I get close to having my budget lined up. Thanks for all the feedback.

David,
    Keep in mind that you lose some swing when you need to get the banjo under the turning. This typically costs you about 2" in swing. That was the final deciding factor for me to get the G0766. I was leaning toward the Laguna until I considered this inherent limitation in all lathes.

As for chucks, I also bought the barracuda as a starter to be sure I wanted to do more turning before buying a better chuck. My barracuda has been pretty good. It runs true and I thought it had good gripping power.....until I bought my vicmarc 120. That chuck gets a death grip on the turning. I also like how it seats very short on the drive mandrel. If you have a 1" barracuda, you'll need an adapter for the 1 1/4" bigger mandrels and that puts a lot more length on the drive mandrel. I recently picked up a Nova Titan chuck, and that too is a real nice chuck. I will keep my barracuda for pens and other small stuff. I do plan to add a super nova chuck to the stable at some point. From what I've read, the one-way is also a nice chuck. If you get a lathe with 1 1/4" drive mandrel, I highly recommend the direct threaded chucks (as opposed to an insert adapter) because of the closer fit and truer spin.

Yes, I thought about the extra clearance for the banjo, and that's a good point and one of the reasons to go for a higher capacity. I'm not keeping the Barracuda chuck, I've actually put it up for sale along with my HF lathe and its accessories. Have to make more money for my purchase, and more room...

A 22" blank is really big. Chances are you'll rarely ever do a bowl that big, maybe a platter. But, in my limited time, I've found that a 20" blank will likely be closer to 16" when finished. It always seams like I remove about an inch all the way around it to true it up (I can minimize it if I'm careful with the bandsaw) so now you are down to 18". Most likely it'll be wet so when it dries you'll loose another inch or two. Mind you that even a 16" piece of work is still large. That being said having the extra swing doesn't hurt in any way. I do believe the Jet does have the capability to do outboard turning so if you do find yourself needing more capacity you'll have the option to so with a little bit of work with the Jet. Before the tariffs the Grizzly was an easy choice. Now the prices are much closer. Honestly I think you would be very happy with the Grizzly, the Jet, or the Laguna. Even the Nova would serve you well.

Have you considered a Oneway lathe?

Made in Canada, it will be what I upgrade to..........Rod.

Nope, no Oneway, I won't have that kind of money to spend

The swing is not that much of an issue to me. It's likely I will never turn a large blank or log. I don't have a lot of interest for that kind of turning, or using green wood, and I don't live where that kind of thing is plentiful anyway. So ultimately, even if higher capacity is nice to have and practical, it's not a priority. And as you say, outboard turning can help if higher capacity is needed from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    David,
    Keep in mind that you lose some swing when you need to get the banjo under the turning. This typically costs you about 2" in swing. That was the final deciding factor for me to get the G0766. I was leaning toward the Laguna until I considered this inherent limitation in all lathes.
    Maybe it is the way I turn, but I have never understood this supposed limitation. Yes, there are times I need to access the "back" side of a turning that is close to the max swing, but I just take chuck and all off the spindle, slide the banjo and rest back, remount the chuck/turning and proceed. I admit it is easier with the conical headstock design of the Laguna, but I did this with my Jet 1642, as well.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, in regards to your comment about supposed limitation of the banjo.

I bought a early G0766 lathe and it came with a short banjo. A few months later Grizzly provided (gratis) an upgrade kit that required me to move some of the parts from the old banjo to the new (longer) banjo. For about 20 or 30 bucks, I purchased a set of those parts so that I ended up with TWO complete banjos. So I keep one banjo next to the headstock and the other towards the tailstock. So, on those rare occasions when I'm turning something really large, I turn one side with one banjo and the other side with the other banjo rather than take the chuck and piece off of the spindle. If the two banjos interfere with each other (not very often) I just loosen the bolt at the bottom and pull one off.

One thing to consider is the size of the spindle, the Gris GO766 is 1 1/4” and I think the powermatic is 1 1/2”. Also the swing is more on the powermatic. I think this correct. I have the Grizzle and have been very satisfied.

I added a tray (box) on the on the bottom and and filled it with sand. Also a cabinet with 6 drawers in the space below the ways.

one thing all of these lathes are quite tall and i’m 6’ and it is too tall for me. Some people add a round ack to stand on.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    One thing to consider is the size of the spindle, the Gris GO766 is 1 1/4” and I think the powermatic is 1 1/2”. Also the swing is more on the powermatic. I think this correct. I have the Grizzle and have been very satisfied.

I added a tray (box) on the on the bottom and and filled it with sand. Also a cabinet with 6 drawers in the space below the ways.

one thing all of these lathes are quite tall and i’m 6’ and it is too tall for me. Some people add a round ack to stand on.
    Powermatic spindle is the same size as the Grizzly, Robust, and others.......1-1/4" x 8 tpi. The 3520b and 3520c Powermatics have a 20" swing......the G0766 has 22" swing and more horsepower and more advanced inverter than the S-1 Delta that PM uses.