Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Track Saw

Looking for a Track Saw

Greetings,

I'm in the market for a Track saw/Plunge saw, done a bit of research and arrived between the Bosch GKT 55 GCE and the Makita SP6000 both running for about 350€ including Guide Rail which is about as much as I'm willing to spend. Any experiences and opinions from people that own or have used either or both would be much appreciated or are there any other makes worth a look?

Will be mainly used for Sheet goods (Plywood, OSB, etc) and solid Lumber, i like the Versatility since i don't really have the space for a Table saw at home and should i really need one i can use the one at work.

Festool and Mafell are just too expensive, bit hesitant on the cheaper stuff.

Regards Philipp J.

I’m very happy with my Mikita 6000. I would highly recommend it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

The Bosch is actually made by Mafell and the few reviews that I have seen give it good marks, although relatively new to the US market. The Makita also gets great reviews from what I have read or seen. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

I have a Festool TS55 and it is a nice saw, but the cordless track saws that Makita and Festool came out with (not too long after I purchased my corded version) are truly excellent tools. I would seriously consider the cordless tools if the budget allows. I would really like to trade up to a cordless version, but can't justify the expense given my usage.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 07-25-2019 at 6:06 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

There have been lots of threads on this topic.Seems if one does not buy Festool it is 50/50 on Makita or Dewalt. These are the corded versions. Basically boils down to one of the three usually .

Blog Entries
    I don't get what the benefit is to a cordless track saw if it still has a vacuum hose dragging behind it. Can someone enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't get what the benefit is to a cordless track saw if it still has a vacuum hose dragging behind it. Can someone enlighten me?
    The cordless track saws can use a dust collection bag if one chooses. Although not as effective as a vac extractor, they are surprisingly efficient. True portability when needed without a vac hose. In the Festool case, many folks have reported more power with cordless than with mains powered saws. It has been reported that the Mafell dust bag fits the Makita cordless.
    Dick Mahany.

I have a Makita track saw and I really like it. Haven't had any problems with it that come to mind. Cuts square, easy to use, etc. But I've only used it for 90 degree cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    The Bosch is actually made by Mafell and the few reviews that I have seen give it good marks, although relatively new to the US market. The Makita also gets great reviews from what I have read or seen. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

I have a Festool TS55 and it is a nice saw, but the cordless track saws that Makita and Festool came out with (not too long after I purchased my corded version) are truly excellent tools. I would seriously consider the cordless tools if the budget allows. I would really like to trade up to a cordless version, but can't justify the expense given my usage.
    Hi Phillipp,

I'll echo Dick's comments. I also have the Festool TS55 and it's great. Track saws are a game changer for breaking down sheet goods. I've heard nothing but good about the Makita and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. A plus is that some aftermarket track accessories work with Makita and Festool (and Triton). You may grow into these as you go along.

Cheers,
    Mark

Depending upon your usage the cordless saws can be really nice to have. My Festool is corded. Since I moved I find I frequently use my saw to break down panels in my garage or out on the driveway. Either case I really don’t care about dust collection unlike in my basement shop where it is critical. I am thinking seriously about the Makita cordless as I have batteries and charges already so the price is much nicer as a tool only purchase. Now that cordless tools come with batteries that hold their charge for very long times and are much more powerful than a few years ago it is really wise to seriously consider them over corded tools. The freedom of movement is so beneficial. Not being tethered to a vac or power outlet is fantastic.

If I for some reason wouldnt have gone with the Festool, I would have gone with the Bosch I think.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have been very happy with my Makita I can't imagine that a Festool is any better. I have used it for amm my cabinets that I have built for my house and what feels like miles of shelving. The Makita blade is awesome too.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    The cordless track saws can use a dust collection bag if one chooses. Although not as effective as a vac extractor, they are surprisingly efficient. True portability when needed without a vac hose. In the Festool case, many folks have reported more power with cordless than with mains powered saws. It has been reported that the Mafell dust bag fits the Makita cordless.
    Thanks Dick. I didn't realize there was the bag option. I have a cordless Milwaukee circular saw & like it a lot. My corded saw has sat on the shelf collecting dust since. No dust collection though.

Anyone have thoughts on how the Kreg saw would compare?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Track saws are handy on the job site not just in the shop. I have the cordless DeWalt and used it on a house flip quite a bit and it was nice not having to worry about a cord. The only tool I don't mind being corded is a sander because I am usually using it in on my assembly table and I have power right in the table.

Blog Entries
    Another Makita fan here however, this is a 'sample of one'. I chose the 6000 after perusing many reviews over time. It does not have a scale that compensates for the track, it does not have a splitter, it does have that cool lock so the saw doesn't try to escape the track on bevel cuts, it does have plenty of power for everything I have done with it.

I do have Festool tools. I am very happy with them. In this case I spent the extra $1000 on other stuff.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler