Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Looking for a Track Saw

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    116

    Looking for a Track Saw

    Greetings,

    I'm in the market for a Track saw/Plunge saw, done a bit of research and arrived between the Bosch GKT 55 GCE and the Makita SP6000 both running for about 350€ including Guide Rail which is about as much as I'm willing to spend. Any experiences and opinions from people that own or have used either or both would be much appreciated or are there any other makes worth a look?

    Will be mainly used for Sheet goods (Plywood, OSB, etc) and solid Lumber, i like the Versatility since i don't really have the space for a Table saw at home and should i really need one i can use the one at work.

    Festool and Mafell are just too expensive, bit hesitant on the cheaper stuff.

    Regards Philipp J.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Averill Park NY
    Posts
    63
    Im very happy with my Mikita 6000. I would highly recommend it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    And a Pet Grizzly
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    900
    The Bosch is actually made by Mafell and the few reviews that I have seen give it good marks, although relatively new to the US market. The Makita also gets great reviews from what I have read or seen. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

    I have a Festool TS55 and it is a nice saw, but the cordless track saws that Makita and Festool came out with (not too long after I purchased my corded version) are truly excellent tools. I would seriously consider the cordless tools if the budget allows. I would really like to trade up to a cordless version, but can't justify the expense given my usage.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 07-25-2019 at 6:06 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,005
    There have been lots of threads on this topic.Seems if one does not buy Festool it is 50/50 on Makita or Dewalt. These are the corded versions. Basically boils down to one of the three usually .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Okotoks AB
    Posts
    1,210
    I don't get what the benefit is to a cordless track saw if it still has a vacuum hose dragging behind it. Can someone enlighten me?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't get what the benefit is to a cordless track saw if it still has a vacuum hose dragging behind it. Can someone enlighten me?
    The cordless track saws can use a dust collection bag if one chooses. Although not as effective as a vac extractor, they are surprisingly efficient. True portability when needed without a vac hose. In the Festool case, many folks have reported more power with cordless than with mains powered saws. It has been reported that the Mafell dust bag fits the Makita cordless.
    Dick Mahany.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    682
    I have a Makita track saw and I really like it. Haven't had any problems with it that come to mind. Cuts square, easy to use, etc. But I've only used it for 90 degree cuts

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    The Bosch is actually made by Mafell and the few reviews that I have seen give it good marks, although relatively new to the US market. The Makita also gets great reviews from what I have read or seen. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

    I have a Festool TS55 and it is a nice saw, but the cordless track saws that Makita and Festool came out with (not too long after I purchased my corded version) are truly excellent tools. I would seriously consider the cordless tools if the budget allows. I would really like to trade up to a cordless version, but can't justify the expense given my usage.
    Hi Phillipp,

    I'll echo Dick's comments. I also have the Festool TS55 and it's great. Track saws are a game changer for breaking down sheet goods. I've heard nothing but good about the Makita and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. A plus is that some aftermarket track accessories work with Makita and Festool (and Triton). You may grow into these as you go along.

    Cheers,
    Mark

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    444
    Depending upon your usage the cordless saws can be really nice to have. My Festool is corded. Since I moved I find I frequently use my saw to break down panels in my garage or out on the driveway. Either case I really don’t care about dust collection unlike in my basement shop where it is critical. I am thinking seriously about the Makita cordless as I have batteries and charges already so the price is much nicer as a tool only purchase. Now that cordless tools come with batteries that hold their charge for very long times and are much more powerful than a few years ago it is really wise to seriously consider them over corded tools. The freedom of movement is so beneficial. Not being tethered to a vac or power outlet is fantastic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,827
    If I for some reason wouldnt have gone with the Festool, I would have gone with the Bosch I think.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atascadero CA
    Posts
    27
    I have been very happy with my Makita I can't imagine that a Festool is any better. I have used it for amm my cabinets that I have built for my house and what feels like miles of shelving. The Makita blade is awesome too.
    Paul

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Okotoks AB
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    The cordless track saws can use a dust collection bag if one chooses. Although not as effective as a vac extractor, they are surprisingly efficient. True portability when needed without a vac hose. In the Festool case, many folks have reported more power with cordless than with mains powered saws. It has been reported that the Mafell dust bag fits the Makita cordless.
    Thanks Dick. I didn't realize there was the bag option. I have a cordless Milwaukee circular saw & like it a lot. My corded saw has sat on the shelf collecting dust since. No dust collection though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    83
    Anyone have thoughts on how the Kreg saw would compare?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Prairie Village, KS
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't get what the benefit is to a cordless track saw if it still has a vacuum hose dragging behind it. Can someone enlighten me?
    Track saws are handy on the job site not just in the shop. I have the cordless DeWalt and used it on a house flip quite a bit and it was nice not having to worry about a cord. The only tool I don't mind being corded is a sander because I am usually using it in on my assembly table and I have power right in the table.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    19,624
    Another Makita fan here however, this is a 'sample of one'. I chose the 6000 after perusing many reviews over time. It does not have a scale that compensates for the track, it does not have a splitter, it does have that cool lock so the saw doesn't try to escape the track on bevel cuts, it does have plenty of power for everything I have done with it.

    I do have Festool tools. I am very happy with them. In this case I spent the extra $1000 on other stuff.
    She said How many woodworking tools do you need?
    I said Why? Do you know someone who is selling some?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •