Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a Track Saw

Without de-railing the thread too badly since high end saws are out of the question for op,
    With the current sale on the Mafell mt55 bringing it to within $25 of the Festool ts55, I’m curious if that brings peoples opinion to tip the scale towards the Mafell.

The Festool line is excellent but you shouldn't have any trouble with the Makita.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-26-2019 at 3:31 PM. Reason: Removed link and business promotion

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't get what the benefit is to a cordless track saw if it still has a vacuum hose dragging behind it. Can someone enlighten me?
    Using it on a jobsite where there is no available power. Of course in this case, you would have to use the dust bag in lieu of a vacuum.

I too have the Makita track saw, and I like it very much. I have the 55" rail and the long rail. I don't like breaking down sheet goods on a table saw. The track saw is a great tool for that job, and I would not want to be without it. I chose the Makita because of its lower cost than the Festool, but very good reviews.

I have a cordless Makita & a Festool TS55EQ.
    The Festool w/Festool tracks is slightly more accurate - but - I'd not care to live or die on the difference. Both are quality tools.
    Since getting the cordless Makita, I haven't used the Festool at all. I use the Festool tracks a lot tough. The net result of that is that the splinter guards on the Festool tracks are now sized for the Makita. To be effective once again with the Festool, they will need replaced.

I don't get what the benefit is to a cordless track saw if it still has a vacuum hose dragging behind it. Can someone enlighten me?
    I seldom, if ever, use the DC on the track saw if I'm working outside - which I try to do. Inside it's a different story - but - the lack of a second tether is nice. Far less clumsy.
    The single biggest advantage though is that the saw can go to the material. I can cut sheet goods to the exact size I need, right in the parking lot of the Borg or a lumber yard.
    No need anymore for a van, SUV or pick up. That right there is a huge savings - close to $15 thousand dollars - or more.

I paid through the nose for a Sienna van just so I could struggle with and get a hernia from, taking out the center seats so I could haul a few pieces of plywood every 6 months or so.
    I "downgraded" to a RAV4 & have built a kitchen full of cabinets cutting the plywood down to exact size in Menards parking lot over the past 8 months.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks for the replies so far, personally i don't mind (extension)Cords that much and as nice as some Cordless tools are its not necessary for me in this case.

Going by the Reviews and opinions I'm tending towards the Makita, Festool does have a cashback offer at the moment that would bring the price down from 500 to 450 € but I'm not sure if that extra 100 it costs over the Makita really makes big enough a difference. For what i have in mind the Makita will probably do perfectly fine.

I'll think on it some more and wait for a bit more input