Thread: Trouble removing cutter head from older Craftsman Jointer

Question Trouble removing cutter head from older Craftsman Jointer

I have an older Craftsman Jointer model 113.206801 I recently purchased off Facebook marketplace. It’s a bit rusty and I’m trying to clean it all up. There are a set of retaining/snap rings between the Arbor Bearings and the cutter head that I simply can’t figure out how to get off. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Jason Brooks; 07-25-2019 at 2:41 PM.

Jason, Are their little holes in the snap rings for snap ring pliars.
    If no holes for the snap ring pliars you will have to pry the rings apart with a screw driver or something.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Jason, Are their little holes in the snap rings for snap ring pliars.
    If no holes for the snap ring pliars you will have to pry the rings apart with a screw driver or something.
    Yes there are, however my snap ring pliers are too large to get between the cutter head and the bearing. I have knocked the cutter head as far over as it will go. Do you think I need to take the in feed table off?

Blog Entries
    There sre several types of snap rings. Look closely at your snap rings. They may be this type. Type-E-H.jpg if so they can be removed with ywo small flat dcrew drivers.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-26-2019 at 3:35 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Some of the snap ring pliers have interchangeable jaw heads and some of those heads are at a 90° angle to the plier which makes it easier to get into tight spots