Thread: Dewalt Planer Problem

Dewalt Planer Problem

Before my question, I just wanted to say from the browsing I've done so far you have a great forum here! Mountains of information that I plan on sticking around to check out.

Here's my issue. I'm using a Dewalt 733 portable planer borrowed from a friend which I've used before without issue. Unfortunately, it's having a major problem on my watch (of course). I finished up a nice stack of black walnut and moved on to the first piece of cherry. The planer made a few clunks and stopped mid-board. I raised it and got the board out and found that the blade roller will basically only rock forward or backward part of turn. After investigating further, it looks like the stable plate (silver spring loaded thing) keeps engaging. If you're looking at the back of the machine, it's on the right as shown in the attached pictures. So I can rotate/disengage that stable plate and get a revolution or two out of the blade roller by hand but then the plate engages and locks the roller again. I'm more than capable as far as taking this thing apart and trying to figure it out, but thought someone here might be familiar enough with the unit to let me know what's going on. No point in tearing it apart if I don't have to. So, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!IMG_1691.jpgIMG_1693.jpg

Blog Entries
    I had a DW734 so I may be off on this. I believe that is part of the head-lock that engages when the cover is off to change blades.

DW734 head-lock.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-25-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Head lock spring broken?
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Head lock spring broken?
    I think it's working as it should (without really knowing). It does spring back when i push it.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I had a DW734 so I may be off on this. I believe that is part of the head-lock that engages when the cover is off to change blades.

DW734 head-lock.jpg
    This may be the reply I needed. I may have done something wrong when I put the cover back on after changing the blades. I'll check it out this evening!

I had a 733 that suddenly stopped feeding after a clunking sound. While the head lock does engage when the cover is removed, it was not the problem in my case. Rather it was a sprocket gear in the drive train. It had split in two pieces. This is a fairly common problem with the 2 cutter 733 planers. The parts are inexpensive and fairly easy replace.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I had a 733 that suddenly stopped feeding after a clunking sound. While the head lock does engage when the cover is removed, it was not the problem in my case. Rather it was a sprocket gear in the drive train. It had split in two pieces. This is a fairly common problem with the 2 cutter 733 planers. The parts are inexpensive and fairly easy replace.
    Would the blade roller rotate freely and smoothly by hand if you disengaged the head lock manually in that instance? I'm thinking if I have a broken gear, it will not. I'll be taking a closer look now that I have a bit more information. Thanks guys, I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Lawrence View Post
    Would the blade roller rotate freely and smoothly by hand if you disengaged the head lock manually in that instance? I'm thinking if I have a broken gear, it will not. I'll be taking a closer look now that I have a bit more information. Thanks guys, I appreciate it

The roller did not rotate freely even with the broken gear. It wasn't until I opened the case that I found the problem. I purchased a few extra gears just in case as spares (which I never needed probably because I had them ready on hand )
    Dick Mahany.

This may be the reply I needed. I may have done something wrong when I put the cover back on after changing the blades. I'll check it out this evening!
    My Ryobi planer has a removable dust chute. When installing it has to engage a pin to prevent the rollers from locking up. It can easily be assembled incorrectly if you are not paying attention or are not familiar with how it goes together.

If it is a sprocket, here's a quick and useful video for replacement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxTmlqypUA
    Dick Mahany.

Well it seems the dust chute did not disengage the head lock correctly when I put it back on after changing the blades. Somehow I was able to plane for a while after and it became engaged and locked the head mid-board. I put the dust chute back on last night making sure it pushed that lock plate down and it purrs like a kitten. Hopefully the same holds true when I started running lumber through it again. Nothing worse than when a borrowed item breaks down on you! Anyway, thanks for all the replies I appreciate the help very much

Blog Entries
    Nothing worse than when a borrowed item breaks down on you! Anyway, thanks for all the replies I appreciate the help very much
    I have a BIL with a bad tool fetish & I used to borrow from him. But he didn't take very good care of them & at least half the time the tool would need fixing, so I'd fix it. They were always returned better than I got them. Then one day I figured out it was just cheaper to go rent or buy what I needed.