Thread: Lumber source in Wichita, KS?

Lumber source in Wichita, KS?

Anyone know a good place to get lumber in Wichita, Kansas? I am looking for some 3/4 ash plywood, then in the future, some 4/4 cherry (curly if I can find it), then some other exotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Risser View Post
    Anyone know a good place to get lumber in Wichita, Kansas? I am looking for some 3/4 ash plywood, then in the future, some 4/4 cherry (curly if I can find it), then some other exotics.
    It's a bit of a drive but I would try Frieden Hardwoods in Pomona, KS.

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/013683.php

This is where I bought the wood for my latest project and I plan to buy from him again. I would say the quality was as good or better than what I've seen in the KC area for less money.

I beleive everything on the link I provided above is true which is amazing in this day and age.

I think the prices of the common hardwoods are the same (in the link) but the exotics went up.

Call for an appointment day, evening or weekend.

Don't worry about messin' up the wood stack, they'll clean up after you (unlike some places here charging 25 cents/bd. ft. if you don't take the piece off the top).

Shorts are cheaper as well.

you might also try Schmucker Lumber north of Hutchinson. They carry a good selction of domestic and exotic species. Great people and fair prices. they probably have the best selction you will find around this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Riddle View Post
    you might also try Schmucker Lumber north of Hutchinson. They carry a good selction of domestic and exotic species. Great people and fair prices. they probably have the best selction you will find around this area.
    Another vote for Schmucker...was there just last week and they have a great supply. They are located on 1825 31st (Plum st.) in Inman Phone # 620-489-6624 I drive from Hanston to pick up my wood from them. Have the best selection of exotics in the state (imo)

Another vote in for Frieden...

I have the good fortune of being about 12 miles away fro his front door. The Hutch source might keep you closer to home, but if you need to go from Wichita to KC Mark is only a few miles off I-35.

Andy Haney

Thanks for the responses-
    Sometimes I need specific lumber for a project, and the drive to Mark Frieden might be worth it, but often I get ideas as I'm browsing through a stack of wood, and the Schmucker Lumber place would be the place for that. I'll check them both out though.

I live in Wichita and had been purchasing my hardwood from Intermountain. Sadly, they are now permanently closed. I’ve been thinking about making a trip to up to Pomona ( Mark Frieden). Schmucker appears to have a good selection, but their prices are very high compared to other suppliers. $10/bd ft for 8/4 cherry? Hard pass.

I buy from Mark, he's a good guy.

I used to buy from Intermountain pretty often as well, but now I go to Liberty Hardwood in KC now. Actually they come to me... they have a truck in Wichita twice a week, so I can get stuff pretty quick. I just got a WM lt15 wide, so starting to cut my own wood now to get a kiln going so I can actually use the wood.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last