Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did roofs get so high?

When did roofs get so high?

As a teen I worked summer part-time jobs as a house painter and roofing helper. As an early homeowner I had replaced two roofs; one was a two story house, the other was a 1 1/2 story house. Was never bothered hauling shingles or dragging panels.

Today I was on a single story 5/12 roof, bare OSB decking, and had butterflies the whole time.

67 is not that old. Is there some mathematical function that makes a roof get proportionally steeper as one ages?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I'm the same way...I think it is a combination of some degradation of balance and agility along with increased awareness of the consequences of falling. Roofing is one of the very few jobs that I hire out. I will do minor repairs, etc, but not bigger jobs.

Oddly enough, you actually get smarter as you get older.

4. This is typical architecture in my home town. Roofers make a lot of money.
    traditional_architecture_in_rothenburg_ob_der_tauber_in_germany._it_is_one_of_the_best-preserved.jpg

We know that falling gets more likely and dangerous the older we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    As a teen I worked summer part-time jobs as a house painter and roofing helper. As an early homeowner I had replaced two roofs; one was a two story house, the other was a 1 1/2 story house. Was never bothered hauling shingles or dragging panels.

Today I was on a single story 5/12 roof, bare OSB decking, and had butterflies the whole time.

67 is not that old. Is there some mathematical function that makes a roof get proportionally steeper as one ages?
    All good answers so far, I think.

I am 10 years behind you but I just hired out the roof on my shop construction. 5/12 garage roof was probably doable but the 7/12 on the second story seems exponentially steeper. I was definitely tied off while decking and installing underlayment on the roof. I had the roofer install permanent anchors at both ends of the second floor ridge.
    Regards,

Kris

Charlie, you're a lot tougher than I am! I'm 68 and quit going up on the roof a couple of years ago when I discovered that my balance wasn't as good as it used to be. That's what kids are for!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    This is typical architecture in my home town. Roofers make a lot of money.
    traditional_architecture_in_rothenburg_ob_der_tauber_in_germany._it_is_one_of_the_best-preserved.jpg
    Gunter - I am guessing you never have to shovel snow off of roofs where you live.
    Regards,

Kris

She Who Must Be Obeyed says no more roof for me-- she looks askance at anything taller than the 8 ft step ladder.

I'm 69, and still work on roofs, but they're scaffolded up to the edge (or other double safetied systems), and I charge double my normal rate for working on a roof. That keeps away most of the roof jobs, but I still get as many as I want, which is not many unless an interesting one comes up.

Be 72 in November. In September, when it cools down, will replace roof back section of house. Shingles are original from 1980. Worst part to me was hauling shingles up, until my dad showed me a trick, when building house. Take extension ladder that will extend past roof line by about 4 feet. Attach a pulley to top rung of ladder. Sting a rope through pulley so a helper can pull a bundle of shingles up between house and ladder. Just as shingles arrive at roof level, push ladder away from roof, allowing shingles to go past roof line, then return ladder to rest against roof. Then helper lowers shingle bundle onto roof. Beats the heck out of toting them on shoulder up a ladder. In 1980, our 72 pound son was pulling 70 pound bundles of shingles this way. One word of caution: NEVER TIE LIFTING ROPE AROUND YOU WAIST!!! The addition we put on in 1995 has a roof hatch that can be accessed from stairway into attic.

The only shingles I do, any more, are Cypress shingles that we make, or standing seam metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do not think woods shingles are legal anymore here.

Tom, beautiful roof! Always nice to see quality work.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I know what you mean. In my younger days I could climb all over a roof with nary a care. Now I'm about 59 and I know my balance is not what it used to be. I'll still get on a low pitch roof but carefully and not too happily.