Thread: Routing EndGrain direction? No tear out? Major Brain Fart!

Routing EndGrain direction? No tear out? Major Brain Fart!

Been using my router table for long I’ve seen to forgot the proper direction to go when using a hand held (Palm) router.

I made a few endgrain cheese boards and want to round over the edge and would like to avoid going the wrong way and causing tear out.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Generally speaking you normally want to go left to right with a hand held router. End gain can be tricky, so I would hughly recommend a Freud Quad cut router bit to do your round over.

Blog Entries
    Is the board end grain up?

I'd cut the profile stopping before the exit all the way around, then go back and trim to the exit. When you're trimming into a profile it reduces chip out. It also helps if you can back up the cut with a clamped on board.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-26-2019 at 8:17 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Climb cut the corners right to left.

Do the whole thing in several passes, thin cut each time. It will allow you to move quicker, reducing burning, and creates less resistance on the climbing portions which you know makes the router want to run away from you.

What Brian said - back up your exit with a sacrificial board. Always cut the two end grain sides first, then come back and rout with the grain. The rout with the grain will often cut off any oops cut from the end grain tear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Been using my router table for long I’ve seen to forgot the proper direction to go when using a hand held (Palm) router.

I made a few endgrain cheese boards and want to round over the edge and would like to avoid going the wrong way and causing tear out.

Thanks!
    It'll be obvious once you try it, so try it on a scrap piece first.

Counterclockwise for the outside. if you are routing the inside opening, go Clockwise. Absolutely agree with doing the end grain first with a sacrificial backer board on the exit cut.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Absolutely agree with doing the end grain first with a sacrificial backer board on the exit cut.
    He is rounding end grain cutting boards, all he will be cutting is end grain.......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    The edge can chip out at the end if the cut.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.