Thread: My entries to the Oc fair

My entries to the Oc fair

White oak bow front table all from one board.
    My plan was to have two swing out drawers.I did make the drawers but they proved to be to fussy when the table sat on a uneven surface. So I scraped the idea and added the front apron but lost the grain continuity.
    I also displayed the three natural edge pieces.
    I didn’t win any ribbons but getting accepted it to display work is quite the honor.
    Aj

Very nice pieces. If you didn't win any ribbons there must have been some really amazing pieces in the show. Your work looks prize worthy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very nice work! I havent been to that show, but it sure looks like I need to.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful pieces, Andrew. Congrats on being invited to show. Love the live edge bowls. The continuity around the top is very nice. Might have to give something like that a try.

Andrew, I like the gentle curves of the oak table. The fillets in the inside corners are especially attractive. I know from experience they're not easy to execute.

Blog Entries
    "Fine Woodworking" at it's best...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thanks guys. When I dropped off my work at the fair I had time to see what others were bringing to the show.
    I knew i had very little chance to win a ribbon.
    Ill try again next year.
    Aj

You did some pretty difficult things in those pieces Andrew. And they came out really well.
    You may not have won, but we got to enjoy seeing them.

Very impressive work Andrew! How did you get those smooth curves from the apron to the inside of the legs?

Great work, I especially like the table!!

Blog Entries
    Like Mike said, the other pieces must have been exceptional. Yours surely are.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks guys, some of the other pieces had inlays , Marquerty. Larger in size way more complicated and expensive to make.
    My table was made from a single slab of White oak I paid 65$. I spend several months on and off working on it.
    Half the time was shaping and finish. So it’s very plain next to the other work.
    The eucalyptus was gifted to me a single slab from the maloof foundation. I was able to make three pieces from the slab. One went back to the foundation for sale in their gift shop.
    I don’t recommend eucalyptus it’s very ornery wood. But it does make good wooden spoons.
    Thanks Again
    Aj

Thanks for sharing these nice pieces. The table is elegant and inspiring!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!