Thread: I need your opinion on planers

I need your opinion on planers

I need to purchase a bigger planer because I am milling around 4 thousand bdft in my hobby business a year now, and I am hearing from veteran wood workers to try and stay away from the 4-post planers and Im not sure why, many companies have gone to a 4-post, and I have a hard time believing that a wedge planer is far superior. I'm looking to by a PM-15HH or the PM-209HH. your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Four-post design is pretty much "the standard" on industrial planers for both companies I've sold equipment for and never heard a complaint about it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

+1 Erik ^^.

My advise is get the widest planer you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    +1 Erik ^^.

My advise is get the widest planer you can afford.
    ++1
    And get it with a Shelix cutter head!!!! DAMHIKT!!!
    (Don't Ask Me How I Know This)
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The number of posts is kind of irrelevant if the build is good. The old Oliver 299 was a two post machine and will outlive most of today's machines. A four post does allow for a long bed which is a benefit. A large diameter head, chipbreakers, and a pressure bar are important. Bed rollers, not so much. Power table drive and digital readout are worth the price. A good 20+" planer will cost in the 8-12K range. A good used SCM, SAC, Felder, or older Martin, Oliver, etc will go in the 4-7K range. Planers costing less are lighter designs made wider. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nick johannsen View Post
    ...I am hearing from veteran wood workers to try and stay away from the 4-post planers...
    You've been given bad advice. My old Delta 4-post has given decades of trouble-free service and produces no snipe.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

thanks Dave

good point, thanks

Not really pertinent to OP, but I prefer a wedge bed planer over anything else.