Another quick shop improvement: I use the Rousea miter saw dust hood. It works, but a fair amount of fine dust escaped from the front. I know I could add some doors or baffles to improve it, but since I sometimes take it to a job site I value the ease of removal and transport of it.

After upgrading to a cyclone dust collector, it occurred to me that the 4" port on the hood (and the fairly long run of 4" hose to it) was probably not ideal. Not only that, the increased air flow from the big cyclone tended to suck in the loose fabric of the hood near the port, blocking off part of the port.

So I picked up a 6" HVAC starting flange, cut out the 4" port, and installed the 6" flange, using a piece of 1/4" MDF as a big washer so I could sandwich the hood fabric between the flange and the mdf. The mdf also keeps the cloth far enough from the port that it doesn't get sucked in. Win-win.

The result works much better, and while some dust still escapes out the front, it's a lot less than with the original setup. When you are using the saw, you can actually feel a good breeze flowing past into the port. See pics.

Dust-hood-1.jpg

Dust-hood-2.jpg

Dust-hood-3.jpg