Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New J/P

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    There was a new-ish Hofmann up for sale last year, listed price was about 14k iirc. I’ve never used one but the German JP designs seem to compromise very little, in fact the Hofmann can be used to plane while having the jointer tables down.
    That's interesting on the tables down, must have perfected the DC. For the quality that these things are, that's a reasonable cost, maybe a touch more than what I think someone would pay.

There was a new-ish Hofmann up for sale last year, listed price was about 14k iirc. I’ve never used one but the German JP designs seem to compromise very little, in fact the Hofmann can be used to plane while having the jointer tables down.
    I swear one of the Wadkin or Robinson designs is like that too. In these large combos, that seems to be the easiest/simplest design. All combos fill me with concern over the hinge point and how precisely and overengineered the machine needs to be built for it to return to the same setting over time. Over 16-25" it cant take much to throw your tables off by several thousandths. Obviously, some manufacturers solved the issue, but it still makes me wonder. Not sure how i would feel about the ergonomics of bending down that far for stock, but it would alleviate my concerns with the jointer tables' calibration and tolerances to hold settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I swear one of the Wadkin or Robinson designs is like that too. In these large combos, that seems to be the easiest/simplest design. All combos fill me with concern over the hinge point and how precisely and overengineered the machine needs to be built for it to return to the same setting over time. Over 16-25" it cant take much to throw your tables off by several thousandths. Obviously, some manufacturers solved the issue, but it still makes me wonder. Not sure how i would feel about the ergonomics of bending down that far for stock, but it would alleviate my concerns with the jointer tables' calibration and tolerances to hold settings.
    Wadkin and early Robinsons had fixed tables, they were a pain to use as a planer.

I have lifted these tables 50 times or so, I have checked them several times with my 60" Camelback straight edge, they seem to be perfect every time. Tables do have simple adjustments, counter spring is huge, pivot point is huge, and those tables without those springs would be unmovable for most.

Bauerle made one where the tables lifted, pivoted and rotated out of the way, kinda looked like lambo doors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    The Hofmann was actually made so that it could be used with tables down or up. So they still lift out of the way for smaller stock. This is a handy feature, I feel.

In typical Hofmann fashion, the machine is built heavy the landing tabs are two per side and they're machined into the cast iron tables.

https://hofmann-maschinen.de/en/prod...hobelmaschine/

I'm sure Darcy's machine is also folding down in a way that repeats consistently. The German manufacturers seem to really make beefy anything that effects settings.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-22-2019 at 4:53 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wonder how much the 63cm one is new.

Blog Entries
    Probably 35k.

There are - were 3 makers of this type J/P that can be run without folding the tables up. They all have a notch out of the Outfeed jointer table to make it easier. The fence does not ride on ball bearings like the Hofmann and Martin stand alone jointers. Hofmann’s is nice with well engineered DC and quiet running. I’m sure the price is north of 25k for new in the US.
    New and vintage Hofmann-

2476C5B3-7EB5-4A45-8B6E-027F297682F2.jpg 9B591544-DF0B-428E-9614-71ABF08B6A81.jpg

Here is a Vertongen of the same design. They are still in business but don’t make standard machines anymore.

242BA6FB-FD16-433E-9327-0B44E46F3AAF.jpg

Here is Panhans version. It does not have a cast machine body like Hofmann.

https://www.panhans.de/products/plan...610-2/?lang=en

So are those like 16" jointers and 25" planers with that odd table shapes?

I believe jointer and planer the same width Darcy. The compromise is the jointer tables shorter on one side.

Blog Entries
    Full width as far as I can tell, the opening is full width shown here

This image is from Hofmann’s website

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    I believe jointer and planer the same width Darcy. The compromise is the jointer tables shorter on one side.
    That's just odd to me. I see why in the picture Brian posted though, for the dang electronic everything. I guess I am just use to the wide full length tables on my big jointers and even this Bauerle. Especially with wide heavy material

Full width as far as I can tell, the opening is full width shown here

This image is from Hofmann’s website

Lot of similarities between the Hoffman and this 35 or so year old Bauerle.

I bet a fully optioned Hoffman is easily 30 to 35k.

Blog Entries
    Totally, that Bauerle is a sweet looking setup. Appears to be entirely cast iron which is nice.

New Hofmann J/P is probably over 30k. If I remember they are low to mid 20k euro in Germany. That would translate to 30k+ by the time it gets here. Shipping, customs, UL, US electrical etc.