Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New J/P

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Okoma is a rare find here Darcy. Funk and Okoma were started by former employees of Baurele. They invented the first angular window machine but were later put out of business by Weinig when the patent ran out. A nephew or son of one of the original owners rebuilds these and other machines in Oberkochen. On my bucket list is the small SF3 angle machine.

I don’t know if they had their own foundry or possibly used Baurele’s. They are solid and well designed machines. I have pictures of other Okoma machines from German shops if anyone is interested. Mac Campshure has had a couple of these.
    I had wondered about Okoma name on it. Everything on the machine is exactly the same as the other Bauerle planers I have had. From what I am told it was imported here in the early 80s and from the timeline I can put together of bauerle, that is about the time they were having capital issues. Absolutely wonderful machine, built like a tank, but super simple to adjust and use.

You have to do a video. I know it takes a lot to impress you so it will be a great opportunity for us to see. First machine to tempt me in a few years. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    35m/min?? For the metrically impaired, this works out to ~23 inches/second. Also known as 'Launch Mode".

I'm guessing a lot of the weight comes from the nuclear reactor in the base - and it's shielding.
    Yes, that is fast, I just tried it. I believe it weighs right around 3k pounds. Very thick heavy castings. only a 6.6hp cutterhead motor, separate feed motor.

Blog Entries
    What, no photos, it did not happen

Blog Entries
    That's wild, I feel like my JP is going real fast at 12, i can barely imagine 35. For someone who likes working real fast, hah.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Yeah, it's crazy fast. In fact that speed doesn't make sense to me. I am guessing a 4-knife head running at 6000rpm head, comes to 24000 knife hit per min. If it is 35m/min, comes to 684 knife hits per meter; each meter being 1000mm it means you have only 684 hits over a span of 1000mm, knife hits will be more than a 1mm apart.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Yeah, it's crazy fast. In fact that speed doesn't make sense to me. I am guessing a 4-knife head running at 6000rpm head, comes to 24000 knife hit per min. If it is 35m/min, comes to 684 knife hits per meter; each meter being 1000mm it means you have only 684 hits over a span of 1000mm, knife hits will be more than a 1mm apart.
    2 knife head, just like the majority of these wide machines that were built, kolle, robinson, wadkin, Hoffman.

It is a very rippled surface at top speed, but slow it down to half and it is beautiful. It's great for taking a material off fast and then back though for your finish pass at a lower speed.

Beautiful machine Darcy.

I had an old German jointer planer when i was younger It was older style than your machine and no where near as nice looking, but built like a tank.
    It was made by W. Klein & Soehne, It was an older style before the spring loaded lift tables; To move the jointer tables, you loosened the camlock lever, pulled the table back over a gate, pivoted the table up to vertical, released the gate lock and swung the table out of the way on the gate. Then repeated on the other side, it was quite a workout, especially the table with the fence. I also owned a separate 24" W. Klein jointer

klein .jpg

I saw a couple pictures of a bauerle that had lambo style tables like yours. Yes, I am going to claim lambo style tables. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Planer runs from 7 to 35 meters a minute...
    That is insane. In for videos of 35m/minute.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Here are some pictures of other Okoma machines I had seen in German Shops. The shaper outboard fence is the same as what they use on the angle machines. Nice machines!

4B849D39-E619-4656-9927-8587DC8DE3B3.jpg
    64FD66A4-455B-462D-8668-26FB9949B40B.jpg
    262CE69F-8579-4E7E-B1D2-CA76CA5446CE.jpg
    574EC2F3-5410-4EF5-9B02-2EEED8837F82.jpg
    0F29A9E1-5C9E-4921-8415-407BC36B0F66.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 07-24-2019 at 12:37 PM.

that's pretty stout looking gear there Joe. Nice looking stuff!

The jointer castings look to be exactly the same s some Bauerle machines. Joe always finds neat stuff. Wish he would bring it back here. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The jointer castings look to be exactly the same s some Bauerle machines. Joe always finds neat stuff. Wish he would bring it back here. Dave
    Honestly, all German jointers of that era look almost exactly the same.

It’s possible Okoma outsourced castings or possibly rebadged some of the standard machines from Baurele. I will ask Mr. Engelfried. Okoma built a lot of tenoners, profilers and angle machines and maybe needed standard machines to fill in their line. The town of Oberkochen and surrounding area is ripe with machine and cutter building and any machine part could easily be outsourced.

35 M per minute is fast! My S4S will go up to 25 M. Yesterday I turned it up to full speed just to see what it was like for the first time. The finish was not that bad on mahogany. Sure would not want to run difficult grain that fast though.