Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New J/P

Not a very elegant video, but I made one.

https://youtu.be/hKTlkt62Xo4

Blog Entries
    Sweet! That is one awesome planer. How much space does it consume?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Sweet! That is one awesome planer. How much space does it consume?
    That's a good question, I will have to measure it.

A guess, including fence tube sticking out the back is like 4 feet deep and just under 7 feet long?

66" deep, 83" long.

Blog Entries
    Not bad, that machine is a beast.

Florian Englefried got back to me about the question of Okoma and Baurele. This is what he said.

Dear Mr. Calhoon,

the standard machinery program was produced by Bäuerle.
    A part of the standard program was also produced a certain time by Okoma itself.
    Okoma had no foundry, they worked together with Funk in Aalen.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / with best regards

Florian Engelfried

Engelfried Maschinentechnik
    Elisabethenstr. 41
    73432 Aalen

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Florian Englefried got back to me about the question of Okoma and Baurele. This is what he said.

Dear Mr. Calhoon,

the standard machinery program was produced by Bäuerle.
    A part of the standard program was also produced a certain time by Okoma itself.
    Okoma had no foundry, they worked together with Funk in Aalen.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / with best regards

Florian Engelfried

Engelfried Maschinentechnik
    Elisabethenstr. 41
    73432 Aalen
    So its basically both. Lol

Sounds like a lot of rebadging going on!
    Here is a saw Englefried had in his works for cutting aluminum.

B06AAD55-F890-403B-82CC-6EC05C636540.jpg

Alright, I need one too. I just have to figure out how to deal with the neighbor's noise complaints. I'm guessing they'll still be calling the 9-1-1-my-ears-hurt hotline 30-40 minutes after I shut-down and go to bed. The Beast will still be spooling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Alright, I need one too. I just have to figure out how to deal with the neighbor's noise complaints. I'm guessing they'll still be calling the 9-1-1-my-ears-hurt hotline 30-40 minutes after I shut-down and go to bed. The Beast will still be spooling down.
    Everytime I start it and it hits speed, I get chills and my neck hair stands up. Just an amazing sound.

Fantastic machine. I may have missed it, but where did you pick it up? Unless you did a ton of clean up, it looks to be in fantastic shape, so i assume it came out of a small shop. The DC design on this is one of the slickest ive seen on a combo. I always found felder's solution to be disappointing. You need 15' of flex hose, and it lacks any indication of creative thought.

How do these old combos perform? Wadkin/Robinson's looks to be a good design, but ive seen some oddballs over the years. Italian makes from the 60-80s that I cant even recall the names of now. Ive seen several 20-24" combo machines and they are usually pretty inexpensive--$1500+/-. I personally wouldnt want a combo machine, but they are interesting. Would be worth it for the jointer alone, most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Fantastic machine. I may have missed it, but where did you pick it up? Unless you did a ton of clean up, it looks to be in fantastic shape, so i assume it came out of a small shop. The DC design on this is one of the slickest ive seen on a combo. I always found felder's solution to be disappointing. You need 15' of flex hose, and it lacks any indication of creative thought.

How do these old combos perform? Wadkin/Robinson's looks to be a good design, but ive seen some oddballs over the years. Italian makes from the 60-80s that I cant even recall the names of now. Ive seen several 20-24" combo machines and they are usually pretty inexpensive--$1500+/-. I personally wouldnt want a combo machine, but they are interesting. Would be worth it for the jointer alone, most of the time.
    It was imported here new, in the early to mid 80s. I got it from the guy who bought it from the original owners widow. This guy never used it. Best I can figure it sat idle for about 10 years.

I have had a couple Wadkins, they never considered any sort of DC, I felt my arms were going to get ripped off feeding the planer, plus they were fairly deep machines.

I can't compare it to a mini max, felder or hammer, never had and desire to own one of their machines.

Only fair comparison would be to a Kolle, Hoffman or the like.

I looked at it as a 25" jointer, its actually a really good planer too that isn't very cumbersome to switch to or use.

I am not even going to reply to the 1500.00 for something like this, that's basically a fairytale.

It is a very well thought out and put together machine, but so is every Bauerle I own.

Blog Entries
    There was a new-ish Hofmann up for sale last year, listed price was about 14k iirc. I’ve never used one but the German JP designs seem to compromise very little, in fact the Hofmann can be used to plane while having the jointer tables down.

I wasnt inferring your machine was worth $1500, just saying those other odd italian combo machines were dirt cheap. Part of the reason i was curious about them and how they perform.

Never handled a Bauerle machine before, but they all embody the word "heavy" just by looking at them. Not too long ago there was a 20" jointer in florida that these guys almost couldnt give away. I think they had it last listed for $1500ish, which really had me regretting the 20" generic italian jointer i purchased at the time for $3k.

Story is exactly how i imagined it. It looks pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I wasnt inferring your machine was worth $1500, just saying those other odd italian combo machines were dirt cheap. Part of the reason i was curious about them and how they perform.

Never handled a Bauerle machine before, but they all embody the word "heavy" just by looking at them. Not too long ago there was a 20" jointer in florida that these guys almost couldnt give away. I think they had it last listed for $1500ish, which really had me regretting the 20" generic italian jointer i purchased at the time for $3k.

Story is exactly how i imagined it. It looks pristine.
    I know that jointer and its owner. I was tempted, but it did need quite a bit of work to get it to where I would want it to be.

I am trying to recall who made those machines, I have seen a SCM and probably another from that era as well.