Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making left tilt cut with right tilt tablesaw

Making left tilt cut with right tilt tablesaw

I have a need to make a left tilt cut on all 4 sides of a square post, for a length of 6" lengthwise on one side of the post. I do not own a left tilt saw but have a right tilt tablesaw.

How can I make this cut? I spent a good 20 minutes trying out various combinations and I can't see how to do it. I think it should be able to be done.

Thank you.

I'm thinking that I will need to fabricate a shim to go underneath the wood and use the table saw blade straight vertical.....

Will need about this tomorrow when I am fresh.

Put the fence on the left side of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    That's what I'd do. I would check to make sure it remains parallel to the miter slot and blade after moving it to the left side. Then make the cut.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I used to have a right tilt saw & that's what I did.

If you can't put it on the left side of the blade, then a tenon cutting jig like this is the best approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opaHl3PBxJA

Thanks all, however, a right tilt cut is still a right tilt cut regardless of what side of the wood the fence is on.

I need a left tilt cut.

I spent some time last night trying various options. I taped shims to it, trying nailing a piece of wood to it, and all sorts of things. Finally I decided that using a belt sander might be the best way. It's not pretty but I think it will work.

Maybe, just maybe, I have discovered why I need two tablesaws in my shop!

Pretty sure you don’t need two saws but could you post a photo of what you are trying to do? Just can’t picture what you are thinking.

Dan

Completely "dazed and confused" here as well. What exactly are you trying to do ? Just reread your first post and honestly still not sure why you feel that there is a cut one saw can make that the other cannot. You should be able to accomplish any cut on both a Right and Left tilt saw. There are differences in how bevel cuts work, "bevel up" or" bevel down". Other than that ,having a difficult time figuring out a problem.

?? Flip piece upside down??
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Magone View Post
    Thanks all, however, a right tilt cut is still a right tilt cut regardless of what side of the wood the fence is on.

I need a left tilt cut.

I spent some time last night trying various options. I taped shims to it, trying nailing a piece of wood to it, and all sorts of things. Finally I decided that using a belt sander might be the best way. It's not pretty but I think it will work.

Maybe, just maybe, I have discovered why I need two tablesaws in my shop!
    This is just making no sense at all to me (and everybody else). How about a description of what your actually trying to do. There are many very smart & talented woodworkers here and if you give them a chance, they'll be able to help you out

Blog Entries
    I would do it with a handsaw and hand plane.

A left tilt cut is a right tilt cut if you feed the other end.

Here's one way to make bevel cuts with the good side up on a right tilt saw:

You can even make tapered cuts with this approach, as the one above is. Here's the workpiece mounted in the carrier after the cuts were completed. Note that you can run both edges, one after the other, with no need to remount the workpiece.

For straight bevels on a right tilt saw with the good side up, you mount an L-fence to the fence:

The tip of the blade goes into the L-fence precisely at the corner of the workpiece. And the offcut falls under the L-fence so it doesn't coming shooting back at you.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 07-27-2019 at 4:12 PM.

I do not understand the problem. Maybe a sacrificial fence to bury the blade tip? How about on the shaper or jointer?
    Bill D.