Thread: You Need Two Workbenches

You Need Two Workbenches

I'm doing clean up work on the base units plus cutting the keys for the long stretcher tenons. When I get tired of doing one I switch to the other, short attention span dontcha know.

The keys could be made on any bench but cleaning up the base units is much easier if the bench has an apron like an English bench. To do the clean up on a bench without an apron you would need a deadman, a bench jack, or setting clamps cross bench. All of which are a PITA compared to using a deep English style apron. The problem with the English apron is it makes using bench dogs a PITA.

My answer is to have two benches, one with an apron and one without. The job determines which bench is used.

twoWorkbenches.jpg

ken

Makes sense to me!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice. Wish I had room for multiples.

My bench is 5 inches deep at the front with a 2” under hang 6” back, I can clamp anything along the front of the bench and will never need a moxon vise. Just one workbench for me!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Makes sense to me!
    Fred,

I was working on cleaning up the new bench base units on the old French/English bench and at the same time looking at making the "keys" for the long stretchers and realized how nice it was to have the two benches with each having a different strength. Of course I didn't mention the third bench stacked in a corner of the shop to take wherever it is needed , figured that would be a little overkill.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Nice. Wish I had room for multiples.
    Greg,

It is a luxury.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    My bench is 5 inches deep at the front with a 2” under hang 6” back, I can clamp anything along the front of the bench and will never need a moxon vise. Just one workbench for me!
    William,

Whatever works for you is the best way to go, Usually the problem is figuring out what works. I guess I had built over a half dozen workbenches before I had that worked out, but then I've spent most of my life riding in the short bus.

ken

Having multiple benches is really useful. I have a 24" x 48" Masonite hardboard topped sharpening bench with drawers underneath to hold sharpening media and a 12" x 15" granite surface pate on one end. My old workbench (28" x72") with its metal adjustable length legs was converted to a dirty work bench for staining, finishing, metalworking, and other messy jobs. It now has a disposable Masonite top layer added. My current bench for strictly woodworking is 24" x 90". These all reside in the part of the shop which is for obvious reasons called the "Bench Room."
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Ken,

I chuckled a second at your post because I suddenly thought "I guess I have two workbenches.....one set of sawhorses in the back yard and two different sets of plank tops about 4' long near it, and a second set of horses in the garage with planks about 8' long and a 5'X16"X3/4" top that I can switch back and forth as the need be. However, it is kind of unhandy to switch back and forth between benches in the garage and back yard though." I don't have the flexibility of 2 different types though like you do, so what I have is more like two of the same thing.

At any rate good post and good points. I am still hoping for a shop though, and then I can think about building a real bench. For me, that is the point in studying posts like you and others post on benches, because at first I will only have one bench for everything so it is good to study your posts and to think about the points you all make.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-23-2019 at 8:19 PM.

It would be nice to have the room to have two benches. I do but they are usually full of...........have a lot of stuff on top. Maybe I should just be a bit more methodical in cleaning up!

Come to think of it..I do have 2 benches ...the "main" bench....and the top of the tablesaw.....and a Work-a-mate for working outside....

Two benches...
    One to do the work on

The other to stack all the junk that accumulated on the first so you can do the work

No flat surface is safe near me

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    Two benches...
    One to do the work on

The other to stack all the junk that accumulated on the first so you can do the work

No flat surface is safe near me

John
    John,

LOL. I resemble that remark. Here is my third bench:

thirdBench.jpg

The fourth bench hasn't anything stored on it because it is apart and in a corner.

benchStored.jpg

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

I chuckled a second at your post because I suddenly thought "I guess I have two workbenches.....one set of sawhorses in the back yard and two different sets of plank tops about 4' long near it, and a second set of horses in the garage with planks about 8' long and a 5'X16"X3/4" top that I can switch back and forth as the need be. However, it is kind of unhandy to switch back and forth between benches in the garage and back yard though." I don't have the flexibility of 2 different types though like you do, so what I have is more like two of the same thing.

At any rate good post and good points. I am still hoping for a shop though, and then I can think about building a real bench. For me, that is the point in studying posts like you and others post on benches, because at first I will only have one bench for everything so it is good to study your posts and to think about the points you all make.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Stew,

Good luck on your soon to be new shop. A good bench beats saw horses with boards but I expect you know that .

ken

Ken,

And I thought this post was going to announce your new project to supply SMC'ers with new benches since you can't seem to stop making them

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra