Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wenge for a chessboard

Jim
    I don't know which wood John is referring to as porous, but if it is the Wenge, I can tell you from experience that Wenge is not porous. Wenge is hard.
    I made a large tack trunk out of Wenge and Brazilian Cherry, and that thing is very heavy. Empty it takes two fairly strong people to pick it up. I have also made smaller projects, and some picture frames from Wenge.
    I used Seal-A-Cell, and Arm-R-Seal from General Finishes, as per their normal directions.
    I think you should make the board out of Wenge also. It would be very striking.
    Listen to your wife.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Whether it looks Good or bad....listen to your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    John,

Wouldn't a good sanding sealer solve that problem?
    I was referring to the appearance. The classic board is ebony with boxwood or maple...I think. I wanted to point out that similar grains might be preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    Jim, I really like the look of that board .. very regal. I love the separation between board and trim and the slightly raised board with rounded edges.

Thanks Yonak, it was a fun project to design and build, the board is hinged and held in place with a push latch.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms