Thread: glass retainers

glass retainers

I am nearing the end of a grandfather clock project, all QSWO (I will do a big thread on the whole process from lumber to final product), and I have an issue to overcome. The door is separated into two glass panels, with a 3/8-in x 3/8-in rabbet to hold the two panels. One goes over the clock face, and one goes over the pendulum and weight compartment. I will use double strength glass, 1/8-in thick. That leaves 1/4-in for the glass retainer. I'd like to make these from 1/4-in square QSWO scraps such that the retainers are not noticeable and blend in with the finished door, and sit flush with the inside surface. Can I carefully drill these for a tiny brass screw to go into the door? It seems awful small, and I'm sure I can get a drill bit small enough and safely drill everything, but is this enough? I'd very much rather use oak instead of the cheesy plastic retainers I've seen in store. I solicit advice - go with the oak? What size screw is appropriate?

Blog Entries
    I've used some brass #2 x 1/2" brass wood screws in similar situations. #2 wood screws are 0.086 inches in diameter, so they should work well in your 1/4" wood strips. I would recommend pre-drilling holes in the strips and into the frames where you can. Brass screw heads strip out easily and they also twist off, so pilot holes and beeswax lubrication should be standard procedure.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I will give it a go, thanks!

I did similar doors in a China cabinet. 30 pieces of glass. 120 retaining pieces. Each got two tiny 23ga pins. Holes were filled with dark wax. Easy to remove if I ever need to and guaranteed not to strip any tiny screws.

Dan

Use the same size steel screws first them remove and replace with the brass screws using bees wax.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Just a quick update - this worked beautifully. It was a lot more work than brads or pins, but it is reversible when someone inevitably breaks the glass.

retainer.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I've used some brass #2 x 1/2" brass wood screws in similar situations. #2 wood screws are 0.086 inches in diameter, so they should work well in your 1/4" wood strips. I would recommend pre-drilling holes in the strips and into the frames where you can. Brass screw heads strip out easily and they also twist off, so pilot holes and beeswax lubrication should be standard procedure.