Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

22 Jul 2019

Greetings,
    Getting an earlier than normal start as I have a very busy week starting tomorrow morning. The LOML started out as wanting to repaint the hall bathroom, then that morphed into redoing the vanity. That then morphed into a new vanity top that is granite. That is morphing into a new faucet, tub / shower plumbing, new toilet, new base trim, new wall paint, tile over the top of the tub/shower, and finally crown molding. Nothing like a small update with paint turning into a whole new bathroom. OH....I failed to mention all new floor covering for the bathroom as well. <sigh> Yes, SHE started it, now I have to do most all of it as she "doesn't know how" and we have to do this on a budget because we have money for all the stuff.....just not the labor part.
    Oh, and did I also mention that I'm learning how to repair drywall in the middle of all this? Oh....and one more thing, new bath exhaust fan, new light over the tub/shower, and bath vanity light. Last but not least, a much smaller mirror for the bath vanity. Whew!!!! I'm tired just thinking about all this. After this coming week....we should be in the home stretch...........I Hope!

That's it for me....as if that wasn't enough already.......so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Did very little last week after coming down with a really nasty summertime virus that I'm still recovering from and will continue to take it easy because of. I have a new Macbook Pro arriving today...first upgrade for me since 2012 and only because I need more memory. It will help a lot with 3D rendering and for smoother multitasking between MacOS and virtualized WIn10. So some of my time this week will be setting that up. Additionally, I have some project ideas from a client that I need to explore further so we can meet later in the week and hopefully work out a plan for production.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-22-2019 at 9:03 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Working on a Stickley 962 Server for the last couple of weeks. I'll be posting it in Projects soon. The 962 is my first try at blind dovetails and they came out pretty good IIDSSMS. I was at the TS when the power went off yesterday - nothing like being plunged into darkness at a moment like that. 60 and 70 mph winds took down a lot of trees in town, but at least the power was back on in only 8 hours this time. And I got to play with my new NEBO flashlight - those things are amazing.

I'm between major projects so have been taking advantage of the time to get my shop set up better. Upgraded to a cyclone and upgraded my bandsaw to a Laguna 18bx (yes, it's sweet). But now I am working on a new bench. I've made do all these years with working mostly on my 4x8 assembly table but have really missed having a good vise and other work holding aids, even though I am mostly a power tool guy. I bought a Veritas twin screw vise about 10 years ago along with a record #53 quick release (record was still in business at the time). They have sat, new and unused in their boxes until now. (working for living really cuts into your free time!) I've glued up a 2 x 8 top out of 4 layers of 3/4 MDO plywood (so 3" thick). Now I'm working on the base. Picked up 100 bf of 10/4 red oak at a good price and am milling it now. Plan to have 4x4 (actual) legs and stringers. Nothing fancy, just a solid usable bench that won't take me months to finish. I have a mantle with cabinets job that I need to start soon, and two shaker style desks after that.

Been mechanicing again. First it was oil pressure switch on old Ford Areostar. To replace oil pressure switch, you have to remove serpentine belt, AC compressor, and power steering pump just to be able to see sending unit. Thankfully Ford designed AC compressor and PS pump so they could be swung out of the way. New sending unit solved "low oil pressure" problem. Next Chrysler T&C van ate a cooling relay, or at least I thought so. Replaced relay, and next day same problem. Finally figured out that the wiring connector for relay was the problem. Replaced connector, and all seems to be well. Worked some more on install of new heat pump, which should be finished this week. Today power washed front of house, which has unfinished ceder siding. What a difference! Fixed a fellow WW's Delta CS motor. It was packed with saw dust, despite being a TEFC motor. Rabbets ate some of my collard plants, despite being treated with repellent. Derusted the bottom of a 100# propane tank, and repainted it. Have to get it and a couple more refilled later in the week for use with Campers on a Mission State Fair Ministry.

Jim, I upgraded my 2011 MacBook Pro earlier this year to the latest version (13" with Touch Bar and an Apple 1TB/16GB). The new keyboards - limited travel and supersensitive - take getting used to after the older models.

Bill, looking forward to your pics.

I'm finally getting the drawers to my Harlequin Table near completing. Just finished installing the slips ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, yes, the keyboard has a different feel for sure and since I moved up to the 15", the spacing is ever so slightly different, too. But I use it mostly as a desktop with an Apple wireless keyboard and a 27" monitor. Maybe I'll regret upsizing, but I don't travel as much now as I did...the 13" was originally purchased as a BYOD work laptop so I could stop fighting with the horrible old Windows hardware my former employer had on too long of a refresh cycle. I really didn't need to upgrade at all right now for most things and could have waited another year, but was very much needing a little more performance that comes with memory and processor relative to virtualized Windows and my now frequent CAD/CAM endeavors. The 2012, which runs better than new, moves into the spare slot if Professor Dr SWMBO doesn't want to use it for her portable and the 2010 iMac will get wiped and sold. 'Glad to see your project is moving along nicely!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...