Thread: Engraving oyster shell (esp. pearl oyster) with a fiber?

Engraving oyster shell (esp. pearl oyster) with a fiber?

Has anyone tried engraving oyster shell (esp. pearl oyster) with a fiber? They engrave nicely with my CO2 lasers but a friend (who wants to engrave shells among other things) is trying to decide between CO2 and fiber.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I've never tried it but the general rule of thumb I've always heard was if it's organic, the fiber doesn't like it. I'm sure there are exceptions to that, like what frequency your fiber is capable of but it's worked pretty well for me. In general, wood, paper, stone, etc, don't really do well with the fiber so I'd assume it would fall into that category and CO2 would work better.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Nope, use a CO2..... Mine won't work on any shells that I've tried or also Pearl inlay.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks for the info. (And sorry for the slow reply. Life got complicated.)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Fibre wont touch it, will take a CO2. I tried with some beads from a popular craft store, couldn't mark with a 50W Fibre.

I tried it for grins. Best I got was to create a "shiny" area on the cut surface.

You could, in theory, cut through it though. On my fiber I set the settings fairly low, set to continual burn and walked away. I came back "later" and the shell had broken, but half of the broken part had the nice crisp lines of the shape I was burning.

Short answer, no, you can't.