Thread: Wood type for rollers?

Wood type for rollers?

What would be the best type of wood that would not split for roller wheels on tractor mowing decks?

Plywood would be least likely to split. However, I wouldn't recommend any wood for use as wheels on a tractor mowing deck that is going to get wet, hit rocks, etc. I would use a UHMW plastic or High Density polyethelene. You can buy replacement metal wheels at most hard ware and farm supply stores.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lignum vitae?

The original wheels are wood. Horse buggys used hickey.
    I just want something that wont split. Maybe gum?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Plywood would be least likely to split. However, I wouldn't recommend any wood for use as wheels on a tractor mowing deck that is going to get wet, hit rocks, etc. I would use a UHMW plastic or High Density polyethelene. You can buy replacement metal wheels at most hard ware and farm supply stores.
    I think I remember seeing wooden rollers on some older decks, but no idea what they were made of. Most of what I see are a very hard rubber. I agree with Lee - I'd check a farm supply store.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

Elm. That's what wagon wheel hubs were/are made from.

John

If you are in Australia or NZ I would recommend some of the Ecalypts.
    Bill D.

Gotta go with John - Elm.

Ever try to split Elm? It's a nightmare - which would make it ideal for wheels.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Ever try to split Elm? It's a nightmare - which would make it ideal for wheels.
    Same with sweet gum. It's like trying to drive your maul into a tire. But man, does it rot fast!

I know that they make rolling pins out of tupelo because of the interlocking and tight closed grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    Same with sweet gum. It's like trying to drive your maul into a tire. But man, does it rot fast!
    Definitely an exercise in futility from personal experience ... the maul literally just bounces off the stuff.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry