Thread: Need Recommendations for Buffer Grinder

Need Recommendations for Buffer Grinder

Hi guys, I am trying to find a bench buffer/"grinder" that has low vibration and as a result is reasonably quiet. I expect to only use wire wheels on it to clean up medium size metal parts. I tend to use 6" wheels, just cause they are available locally but like the height of the 8 inch machines. I need one with the longer arbor for access (5/8" diam). I have tried some of the cheaper options like the 8" Harbor Freight buffer grinder and they had too much vibration (for me) even running the tools with nothing mounted on it. I also tried the more expensive Jet 8 inch JBG-8A... and again with nothing mounted on it ... too much vibration and noise. Do I need to go to something like a Baldor to get a well balanced quite machine in the 3/4 hp range (the arbors on them seem to be larger than I am looking for, since I can only get wire wheels locally with 5/8" holes). I looked at the Rikon slow speed buffer, but was concerned it may be underpowered being a 1/2 horse and was worried that being a slow speed motor it may slow things down. I have never used a slow speed with wire wheels and don't know if or how much it would slow things down. Suggestions? Thanks

Try to find an older vintage machine. My old Cincinnati grinder buffer spins like a top with essentially no vibration.

Yea I am kind of keeping my eye out... but so far just seeing 3 phase or short shafts on the local "C....g's" list. Does your Cincinnati have the extended arbor/shaft? Thanks for the response Matt.

I have two Baldors that are dead smooth. No vibration, and almost no noise. Both have the long shafts. One was in a friend's lifetime collection of tools that was given to me, and the other I bought off Cl for $75 because it "ran slow" (but was fine).

There were large wire wheels on the one given to me with large arbors, but on adapters that fit the Baldor shafts, and ran smooth.

Deburring wheels do a great job of smoothing out metal parts, if you are looking for something that leaves a better finish than wire brushes. We used them for cleaning off casting flashings off of aluminum gutter mounts before painting them, and it made quick work out of that job.

Thanks Tom
    I use the local hardware store fine wire wheels, which max out at 5/8 arbor hole. I like the flexibility and fineness of those wheels to get a pretty nice finish on hand plane parts (tarnished/rusted bolts, irons, lever caps etc. The flexibility helps in the tight areas. I had a 3/4 arbor buffer/grinder for a while, I couldn't find the larger hole size locally and when I went to the internet, the strands were pretty stout and/or the width of the wheel was wider than my preference. That grinder with the 3/4 arbor was a cheapy and burned up fairly quickly (poor quality) so I didn't use it very long. I know you can get adaptors to bring the arbor size down to 5/8 and tried it that way, but the wire stiffness and width that I found was more than was ideal for me at least. I like the narrow 0.008 strand brushes. I am not familiar with deburring wheels I will check them out.... Thanks

My cincy has one extended arbor and one normal. It’s 3 phase and on a pedestal, doesn’t take up much room. Heavy bugger, probably 150 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a beast!!!

Hi Mark,

I have 3 of these Grizzly machines here in the shop. They are incredibly smooth and quiet with no discernible vibration. The arbor is 5/8" with 1 hp motor. The belt sander portion can be removed to allow mounting wheels or buffers on either side of the motor.

David

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Knife-Belt-Sander-Buffer/G1015

Grizzly Sander - Buffer.jpg

I will check it out.... do you find 1725 rpms slows anything down. Thanks

Hi Mark,
    For the work I do, this speed is fine. The sanding belt is actually running faster due to the pulley ratio. This particular model is actually made in Taiwan, which is quite as step up in quality from some of the China stuff. Of course, a larger diameter wire wheel will have a higher surface speed than a smaller one (for a given shaft rpm).
    David

Thanks David! I have been pretty unhappy with what seemed to be in my price range. I suppose most of it has been made in China. I thought I was doing better getting the Jet, at the $300 range. I guess I will have to go with old used or much higher prices. I must say Grizzly has surprised me, in a good way.... I have their 17" band saw and it has done a pretty good job for me. I will keep and eye on the G1015.

Where in California? I have a old Stanley that might fit the bill. it is old enough to have plate to mention ball bearing equipped.. I bought two at the local flea market.

Hi Bill I sent you a PM. Do you have a model # for the Stanley... I can look up some of the specs to get a general idea which Stanley it is.