Thread: Speed Bench by Tekton

Speed Bench by Tekton

I got carried away at an estate sale today, and bought a Speed Bench, made in USA by Tekton tools of Austin TX.

It looks like something K mart would sell, but it is quite heavy for it's size. Kind of like a Workmate in size, it has an angle iron clamp that you set with your foot. I paid about $15 for it, and will probably give it to a friend, but I just wanted to play around with it first.

Anybody have one, or know about them?

I am a sucker for weird tools.

Anyway, I also picked up half (yup) a Keller jig, a very nice B&D 1/4" router, a box of 9 corner clamps, a router fence extrusion, a bunch of screwdrivers and nut drivers, A nice set of four aluminum clamp holders that you use to hold bar clamps upright on the bench (West Germany), a HD Quick Grip 18" clamp, two small aluminum miter gages from bench top saws, and a nice old Stanley 3/8 all aluminum drill with an aluminum Portalign drill guide attached. Total for everything, including the Speed Bench was $38.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I cant even find a link or image showing what a "Tekton Speed Bench" is. What is it?!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Found these pics on an auction site. As I understand it, that angle iron-looking thing along the back of the bench is a hold-down that is foot-operated using the treadle you can see on the front of the bench in the first pic.

Speed Bench 1.jpg Speed Bench 2.jpg

There's a Tektron Tool Company based in Grand Rapids, MI - anybody know if it's the same company?

How interesting! It IS like a Workmate and thats pretty cool that it had a unique style of clamping mechanism built into it. Pretty cool.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I spent an hour looking, and that old Ebay pic is all I could find also.

I was hoping someone might have info or a manual for it. Mine is just like that pic. Looks like new too, I just don't know what it is good for. I can't picture wanting to use it just to hold a board tight. Maybe I have no imagination today.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My guess would be it is intended for panel carving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I was hoping someone might have info or a manual for it. Mine is just like that pic. Looks like new too, I just don't know what it is good for. I can't picture wanting to use it just to hold a board tight. Maybe I have no imagination today.
    Came up with a tiny bit of info from an article, “Machining Equipment: getting the most for your buck,” in Wood and Wood Products magazine from September, 1991. They billed the article as a “roundup” of more than 100 new woodworking machines.

"The Speed-Bench three-in-one clamping workbench from Tekton Tools Inc. can be used as an instant clamping system, a quick release tool stand and a stand alone workbench. The system is reported to hold materials from thin paneling to 4-in. timbers and has five adjustable settings from 0 to 4 in. The clamp gives 150 lbs of clamping power and is spread out to help marring of soft materials. Constructed of all steel, it weighs 43 lbs for easy mobility."

So, I guess they thought it could be used to clamp down a bench-top tool on a job site, as well as clamping stock. Given the lack of information out there about the product, my guess is that it came-and-went pretty quickly.

Thanks Gary,

Appreciate the info.

OK, I mentioned I just got it out of curiosity, which I am now over, and my friend doesn't want it either, sooo...........

Any creeker local to me that wants it can have it, FREEEEE.

I will put it on the classifieds soon. Same price.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.